Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What happens if an insolvent patient is hospitalized,but he has nothing to pay for medical bills?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

IT's written off. I had a friend who spent 2 nights in the ER and critical care.  The bill was $28,000.  I had medical power of attorney, and they tried to get me to pay the bill.  I laughed at them and they stopped bothering me. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

you have to worry about this is the US

• 1 month ago

He is treated and the cost is shifted onto the billings of patients who have private insurance.

• 1 month ago

In a CIVILISED country, like those in Europe, New Zealand, Australia and many others

with Universal State Health Care such an inhuman outrage could never occur!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The hospital writes off the loss and pays a somewhat smaller tax to the Democrat IRS. Which is the same that happens in any business that grants credit to those with no/or bad, credit history. Oh sorry I, 'forgot' Democrats do not 'think' Hospitals should be - just like any other business.

Source(s): Try a 'tote the note' car lot and see what happens when you miss your second payment....They repo and. They sometimes sell your debt - and you get to talk to debt collectors until you die.
  • 1 month ago

They send bills anyway, it gets sent to collections, his credit is ruined, he can't get loans or mortgages or rent most apartments, and may wind up homeless.  And the hospital has to charge everyone else more money to make up the loss.

• 1 month ago

I would hope he/she will be taken care of just the same.

• 1 month ago

Medical bills are not erase in bankruptcy but they can't refuse service it a lifetime of bad credit paying with cash. They rather you see your doctor first then run to the emergency room unless needed 

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Only in America does the insolvent patient go bankrupt.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.