Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Ideally is it best if one parent stays home especially when their Children are young? ?

I know it’s hard while not impossible to have a one income family that’s why I said ideally. 

• ?

I was extremely lucky to be able to be a stay-at-home mom with my 3 children.  

I was the one who saw each take their first step, say their first word, etc.  I would have been terrible if a baby sitter was the one who saw all of this..................

Of course it is better if a parent can actually be the one spending the time with the children.  It saves all kinds of issues with paying for babysitters or daycare.  It saves the worry of knowing if your child is safe with that person you are trusting to care for them.

In some situations, depending on the type of work the parent's do, the cost of daycare can become so expensive that it actually becomes more economical for one parent to stay home.  After all, by the time taxes come out of the check and you consider the cost of gas in a vehicle to travel to and from work then consider what needs to go to the childcare - how much money is actually remaining out of the lower of the two incomes.  My husband and I considered all this before deciding one of us would become a stay at home parent.  We considered which job had better pay, better chances for advancement, better job security, and better insurance.  We were in a situation in which we only had about $30 left out of one of our checks after paying for gas to go to that job and paying for the babysitter that watched our two daughters.  WHY should ANYONE work for just $30 per week just to pay someone else to watch their kids.

If both parents have great careers and cost of babysitter isn't going to take most of a paycheck - then the parents just need to consider what works for them.  Is it more important to have that extra money or is it more important to raise the children themselves.  

Ideally it is best if both parents stay home.

• ?

Not sure how ideal that is when a lot of people need two incomes to live comfortably.

• ?

I worked most of the time when my kids were growing up. There was only a period of two years when i did not - one of my kids was always sick,so i opted to stay home.  I don't think my kids were any worse for the wear and we have a close relationship.  I think that spending quality time with kids is the key to good parenting. We used to play games with the kids indoors and out, took them fishing, one loved to help me bake cookies, and more. 

• ?

Yes, that is the ideal; however, quality of parenting is more important than quantity of parenting time.  There are both good and bad effects of having working parents, but much of the bad is mitigated by having quality day care.

Pre-covid, this was almost impossible for most families.  Unless one spouse makes a six figure income that's not really financially feasible.  Would it be better for the children, absolutely.  Children benefit from having a parent at home (especially in the early development stages).  

Ideally yes but what is possible depends entirely on your circumstances.