Question about Royal Mail recorded signed for post?

I received a small parcel that was recorded and said 'signed for' on the label. But when the postman left it he just left it outside my door and didn't ask for a signature. Why was that?

that happened to me, its because of the pandemic, my postman put it on my doorstep, knocked on my door, then stood well back until he saw me open the door

Contrary to other answers, it means they postman LIED. While actually getting a signature may not be current policy, the system DOES provide to note they left to package at the door and watch someone retrieve the package. If they mark "signed for" without a signature, they LIED.

Because of the corona virus he cannot get that close to you!

• ?

Rules changed because of Covid. Around here couriers will put the package on the doorstep, knock and step back. Then they take a snap of you at the door with the package.  That serves the same purpose.

Safety first, Package can be replaced, life cannot. 

Because in a pandemic, no-one is signing for anything to allow for social distancing. 

Couriers generally aren't asking for signatures because it would breach the COVID social distancing requirement and there is a risk of virus being transmitted via the touchpad. My Royal Mail postman always knocks and makes sure I'm at home before leaving a parcel outside the door. Other delivery drivers aren't so reliable.