Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

My wife wants to sell a jointly owned investment property, how can I stop her ?

My wife is divorcing me, she is blackmailing me by threatening to sell all our investment properties. I know I can refuse to sign the exchange of contracts, but if I don't know which estate agents she advertises with how can I stop her putting it on the market? Do estate agents check with both owners before listing properties? What would be the consequence of me refusing to sell after a buyer is found?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Japan young people visit Australia  respect your country World War Two  is over now it’s build  the world cars don’t destroy my me keep humanity  have a the no urine in beer in four xxxx or water  send photo please king and  queen of Japan in house holds don’t yeah the blacks arts or use  yang magic  a family doesn’t betray  my hfamily must stay strong

• 1 month ago

Your divorce lawyer should put a hold on the properties, so she can't sell them.

• 1 month ago

She can't even put a property you both own on the market without both owners giving permission to sell. If you don't, she can't sell it, even if she finds a buyer. And by the way--this isn't "blackmail."  

Any reputable or reliable estate agent has to check the property records to see who owns the property before listing it. If they don't, then you will have a lawsuit against her AND them. But you really need to talk to your divorce attorney(s) and get this straightened out before that happens, if it happens. 

• garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

if its jointly owned she cant sell it , both parties must agree to sell it , simple as that unless she wants a divorce that is , then she only gets half the sale ..do agents check , well its there problem not yours , trying to sell a property without both owners agreeing , that a no no .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

She is part owner,  she can choose to sell. Talk to a lawyer. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

She cannot sell anything that is jointly owned, no one is stupid enough to do it for her and no one is stupid enough to buy it.  You are missing some common sense that is needed in your life right now.  Go get yourself an attorney do exactly what he says.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

She can't sell property that you jointly own without your signature.

If she wants to list it and find a buyer, fine.   But that buyer (and agent!) is going to be disappointed at closing time because the sale isn't going to close.

• L
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Discuss this with your Divorce Lawyer.

• 1 month ago

They probably would not list without both owners agreeing.  No consequences for refusing to sell.  She will waste money on agents, etc.  

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

UK?  Any Estate Agent will check if the properties are jointly owned, if so they won't handle it.  You need a Solicitor , there are no consequences if you refuse to agree to a sale. A buyers Solicitor will check if there is joint ownership.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.