Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

Should I include a letter of motivation with my CV for a master application?

The uni only asks for a CV but should I add a letter of motivation??

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

To other Answerers: A letter of motivation is exactly like a cover letter for a job. You describe your qualifications and skills and apply them to the requirements of the program.

In the olden days, when we had to mail in our applications, applicants would include a letter of motivation "pro forma" since we'd need to include some sort of cover letter to the application (in the "attached please find" vein; you'd never just submit a "loose" application). 

To the Questioner: If the application has an essay as either a requirement or an option, you don't need bother with a letter of motivation. Just put it all in your application essay. 

If there is no essay component to the application, then it certainly can't hurt to include a letter of motivation. Just don't make it too long; a single page will do it.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Send them a letter of demotivation listing all the reasons you don't want to attend their crappy-azz school then ask them to 'tell me about yourself' and why you should hire them.

Attachment image
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

A well-written letter can be a decisive factor in ensuring you a place in your desired Master's programme. It is probably the most personalized document of your application. Therefore, writing an original motivation letter for your Master's is a task that should not be taken lightly.

• 1 month ago

Just don't put the word "passion" in it. I was never in a position to screen student applications but if I had been, I would have binned anything with "passion" or "passionate" in it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I am in the USA. I have never heard of a letter or motivation either.

A letter explaining that you are motivated to do the work and graduate?  Why would you apply for a Masters degree program you were not motivated? 

I would think they university would assume if you apply you want to attend. 

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I'm in the UK and have never heard of a letter of Motivation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.