Anonymous

Should I include a letter of motivation with my CV for a master application?

The uni only asks for a CV but should I add a letter of motivation??

Favorite Answer

To other Answerers: A letter of motivation is exactly like a cover letter for a job. You describe your qualifications and skills and apply them to the requirements of the program.

In the olden days, when we had to mail in our applications, applicants would include a letter of motivation "pro forma" since we'd need to include some sort of cover letter to the application (in the "attached please find" vein; you'd never just submit a "loose" application). 

To the Questioner: If the application has an essay as either a requirement or an option, you don't need bother with a letter of motivation. Just put it all in your application essay. 

If there is no essay component to the application, then it certainly can't hurt to include a letter of motivation. Just don't make it too long; a single page will do it.

Send them a letter of demotivation listing all the reasons you don't want to attend their crappy-azz school then ask them to 'tell me about yourself' and why you should hire them.

• ?

A well-written letter can be a decisive factor in ensuring you a place in your desired Master's programme. It is probably the most personalized document of your application. Therefore, writing an original motivation letter for your Master's is a task that should not be taken lightly.

Just don't put the word "passion" in it. I was never in a position to screen student applications but if I had been, I would have binned anything with "passion" or "passionate" in it.

I am in the USA. I have never heard of a letter or motivation either.

A letter explaining that you are motivated to do the work and graduate?  Why would you apply for a Masters degree program you were not motivated? 

I would think they university would assume if you apply you want to attend. 

• Tavy

I'm in the UK and have never heard of a letter of Motivation.