Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Why did the quill take the place of the reed pen?

They were concurrent.

Being skilled at making reed pens was important for early scribes due to low durability of the pen. Reed pens are stiffer than quill pens cut from feathers and do not retain a sharp point for as long. This led to them being replaced by quills.

Where it did it did because feathers from large birds were far easier to come by than bamboo. If I live in England, for example, it's much easier for me to get a large goose feather than a reed of bamboo because geese are indigenous to England but bamboo isn't. I could get a goose feather anywhere for nothing, but to get the bamboo needed for a reed pen, I couldn't because the bamboo I'd need would have to be shipped from the tropics.