Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can you file self-employment taxes and Retirement taxes later after filing your wage taxes? ?

So I really need the federal tax refund. If I file my self-employment taxes and retirement taxes, I will only get a small refund. If I did not file my self-employment taxes and filed them later on after filing my wage taxes, will I be able to do so on turbotax? Will the IRS penalize me for doing it this way? 

9 Answers

  • John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    I would advise you think about what you are asking.  Restating your question, you are asking if you can (1) intentionally under report income on your tax return, (2) sign that return under penalty of perjury that the return is correct and complete, (3) file that return in order to receive a tax refund to which you are not legally entitled.  

  • Amy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    There aren't separate "wage taxes" and "self-employment taxes" and "retirement taxes." There is income tax. On your entire income.

    (actually, some of your phrases would be appropriate for social security tax, but that's not one you file)

    If you file an income tax return showing only part of your income in order to get a larger refund, you will be unable to file a second income tax return. You will have to amend the original. Which you cannot do electronically.

    When the result shows that you got too much refund, you will have to pay back the excess before April 15. If you miss that deadline, you will owe penalties and interest.

  • 1 month ago

    No you can't. Period. You have to file EVERYTHING on one return--you can't split it up and file part of it one way and part another way just to get a refund. That's not how this works. Once you file your return, you will be subject to the IRS review of your status and wages--no matter what--and anything you didn't report correctly will mean you don't get ANYTHING until you file it correctly. 

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    1.  it's illegal.  2.  you'll have to pay the extra back.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    There is a deferral of Social Security taxes available for the self-employed. Read the instructions for Form SE, Part III.  There also may be another credit you may be eligible for.  You must file all your income on one form. Amending later to include other income will result in penalties and interest that will cost you far more money.

  • 1 month ago

    You file ONE tax return with everything included.

    You signed on the bottom of the form that you did this.

    By not doing this, it created a cluster mess =

    you are going to get a refund because of your withholdings but probably have to pay it bad due to not having self employment taxes and taxes on your retirement funds included.

    The IRS should penalize you.  But if you fix it before April 15, 2021 they won't. 

  • 1 month ago

    Not without paying a lot of money.  You will end up with less money, not more, and they will penalize you.  It is extremely illegal to file any of the three things by itself.  they must all be filed at the same time.  If you file only one of them first, then (1) they can, and should, refuse to send you any refund until you fix what you have done, (2) in theory, although this is unlikely, they can have you arrested for tax fraud, (3) later, you will have to "amend" what you already filed; you can simply file the rest separately, (4) you will have to pay back the difference in between the refund that you got and the smaller refund that you would gotten if you had filed everything at one time, plus interest, plus penalties.

  • 1 month ago

    You can only file one tax return, and everything goes on that one return.  Any refund you got form the first filing would be reduced and you would owe back money when you amended your return to include the other stuff.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    When you file a tax return, you do so under penalties of perjury.  You KNOW you had self-employment income.  Amending later to declare the income and pay all the taxes you owe gets expensive.  If not paid by 4/15, you will owe penalties and interest.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.