Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

In what decades was propaganda in Hollywood movies at the pinnacle, and approx. how many Hollywood movies were propaganda (e.g. percentage)?

I could not find any research, but suppose in WW2

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

There were deliberate propaganda films during WW2 with encouragement and aid from a specific Army office.  I was quite young, and still remember an anti-Japanese propaganda film which gave me nightmares.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

1915 saw the release of The Birth of a Nation

That period saw a) fewer movies and b) extreme attitudes.

By the 1940s far more were made and more to those were for entertainment.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Hollywood is largely in the entertainment business. Many war movies were produced in the 40s as WW2 was of high interest. Naturally, the super vast majority of these painted the US in a favorable light. I'm not going to split hairs about whether or not these were propaganda. However, Hollywood did produce some films specifically designed for troops I could consider propaganda. 

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Disney cartoon of Donald duck working for the Nazis during ww2 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.