jean
jean asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

am scared to feed my dog canned food and biscuits as I heard they are made of meat the humans would not eat?

Favorite Answer

Yes, I agree - you are scared to feed your dog canned food and biscuits.  This is why I don't feed my dogs canned food and biscuits (if that's the question).

Nothing that will hurt them.  Unless it is a working dog, just go with the low fat less than 8% stuff.  Also, use the dry and canned that has lost of veggies.  You would not eat wieners and bologna if you saw them being made.  Nothing to be scared of.  If it was truly harmful, they could easily be sued.  That aint happening.

COMPLETELY fine. I feed my dogs biscuits and canned food ALL THE TIME. Also, read the ingredient list. It will be fine as long as your dog has no allergies to the type of ingredients.

Yes, that is true but it is still meat & if out in the wild they would eat every part of a carcass. Intestines, stomach, internal organs, noses, skin, all formulated just for dogs.  Their stomachs are different than ours & their requirements are different.  It is perfect for a dogs requirements.  Irrational fear.

• Maxi

"made of meat the humans would not eat" Your image of 'meat' is likely very different to what is put into pet food...... few humans would eat the  by products from the 'meat' industry and that is what goes into processed human food ( like sausages/pies as it can be disgised )and/or pet foods

Canned food is mainly water, very little if any 'meat' or meat by product of any type in 99% of them, commerical biscuits are just fillers and the ingredients are mainly wheat/corn based neither of which are any use at all and are not digested by dogs, all they do is swell up in the stomach to make them feel full and then excreate out, so a completely useless as a food source

• Jojo

First of all.........Don`t believe everything you hear.

Dogs CAN eat meat that is not passed for human consumption.

If canned food was THAT bad for dogs then millions of dogs would be sick and dying every day.

There ARE humans that live off the land and even eat road kill, so why you are worrying about a dog eating canned dog meat and dog biscuit is a bit silly don`t you think?

So...what ARE you actually feeding your dog?

Dogs DO NOT need human grade foodstuff and in any case, many human foods can be unsuitable for a dog to eat. 

My dear.....dogs have been known to eat their own poop and vommit. 

I am pretty sure there is NOTHING in a can of dog food , that a dog would not eat. 

Dogs eat roadkill and wild animals  raw and crude if they can catch them. 

Cats eat mice,  and birds ---bones and all, when they catch them. 

Animals eat a whole range of things we wouldn't dream of eating. 

• Sky

Just avoid any food or treats that have the word "by-products" in the ingredients, such as chicken by-products or beef by-products.  That's all the crap that humans won't eat unless it's in a hot dog.  When it lists only the type of meat (chicken, beef, turkey, fish, etc.) it's the actual muscle meat just like humans eat, although it may be a lower grade that we would find unappealing due to being chewy and tough.  Also avoid any food that contains BHT or BHA as preservatives; they are carcinogens to dogs if I remember right.  Instead, go for things that use tocopherols (vitamin E) or rosemary extract for preservatives.

So? Dogs don't care. We tamed wolves into dogs by feeding them the scrap meat we didn't want.

Dogs in the wild eat meat that humans would never eat also, that is just the nature of dogs -  they are scavengers.