Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Jamie asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

how often do old dogs need to be re-evaluated when on heart meds like diuretics?

Depending the cause of the stocking up, if it’s heart failure it could be as often as monthly, even every two weeks at end stage CHF or similar.  

Renal failure could be monthly, depending on the functioning and rate of the renal failure.

There are several conditions that could cause your pet to stock up and retain water, your vet should be the one directing the use of the diuretics and or any other medications you may be giving your pet.  They should also let you know how often they would like you to bring your pet in for blood work.    As I said it all depends on what the cause of the fluid overload is, what stage of the disease and are they just doing maintenance or is the pet close to end stage whatever.

My dogs are nine years old with no health conditions, and their health is re-evaluated every four months.  I would trust that your dog(s) need to be evaluated more often.

If you want to find out, call your vet for the correct answer.

Leave that up to the Vet.

This is a question that should ONLY be answered by the treating vet.  He/she will tell you when it's time for another heart check.   Your particular dog may well remain stable for a significant time, and then again, maybe not.   And who better to notice when there seems to be a deterioration, than the owner.

There is not ONE set answer, just as **** said.  Depends on the owner's ability to monitor the dog and its condition. (It may or may not, be stable.)

• *****

You will need to ask your dog's treating veterinarian that question. It will vary by the severity of the dog's heart condition, the specific medications and doses the dog is on, how long they have been stable on a constant dose, the vet's preference, and also how much the vet trusts the particular owner to accurately observe changes in their dog and know when to come back. My dog, who is in heart failure, is not on a set schedule for follow ups, but my vet trusts me to notice and contact him if anything changes in my dog's condition, as was done this week when my dog experienced syncope. His medications were adjusted, and I'll follow up by phone next week but he won't go back in person until something changes with him that the vet wants to evaluate in person.