Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Is latin a beautiful language?

I don't find it beautiful

It's very complicated!

We all have different ideas about what "beautiful" means, and I don't think I would say "Latin is a beautiful language" just like that. But I've read a lot of beautiful passages in Latin prose and poetry.

I liked Latin enough to study it for two years, but I wouldn't call it beautiful.

“dominus vobiscum” “fiat lux” “carpe diem " "sine qua non"

Yeah Latin sounds nice .

You can find beautiful writing in any language. Look at all the books that were translated in hundreds of languages : Andersen's Fairy Tales, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Pilgrim's Progress, The Little Prince, The Adventures of Pinocchio, ... 

• Zirp

de gustibus non disputandum est     - there's no arguing about taste

or "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

I like classical Latin a lot better than ecclesiastical (church-) Latin.

The real problem with Latin is that it's a dead language: no new words can be added to it.  It doesn't even have words for yes, no, cellphone or mayonaise.

Personally I don't think so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Elaine

Having studied Latin I am biased in thinking it's a great language.  I love the sounds of the language especially the  4th declension endings as there is something forceful about them. Even the verb endings have a rhythm .  Do you remember the old Mickey Mouse Club song: Mic key Mou see?  It's an easy way to remember Latin verb endings: o, s t, mus, tis, nt .

i think any language is beautiful