Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is twinkly "star" we see at night Mars ?

Update:

Twinkly "red" star that is.  There appears to be only one star that has that red tinge.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It will either be Mars or Aldebaran, as they are the only two reddish colored stars visible right now in the evening.

Despite popular opinion, all stars and planets twinkle if the atmosphere contains sufficient turbulence.

If you see two bright reddish stars in the west around 8pm, Mars will be the one a little to the North. You can use the star map below to locate it. I don't know your location, so I set it to Mt Palomar near San Diego. But if you are anywhere in the US, the map will be good enough. If OS, then just change the location by clicking on the location at the top right of the map. You will need to set your time which is displayed and set just below the map.

• mars
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I like Venus after dusk, or before sunrise. It's the third brightest object in the sky; including the stars.

• 1 month ago

It could be MARS, but there again it could be one of millions of stars and planets.  The 'twinkly' bit is caused by the Earth's atmosphere, 'breaking up' the light. 

Although it appears to be a 'star' , Mars is a planet.  The word 'planet' means 'wandering star' from the Classical Greek language. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Depends on what time you are looking and which direction.

Right now, Mars is setting in the west around midnight.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Mars generally looks like a bright orange star but I wouldn't say it twinkles.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Mars is not a Star it is a Planet and it does not twinkle.

There are TWO Red Stars that can be easily seen.  What causes Stars to Twinkle is the Earth's Atmosphere.

The two Red Stars are Betelgeuse and Antares, both Red Giants

• 1 month ago

its possible, you could try typing this on the search bar and it might tell you

• KennyB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Mars is currently setting at about 1 AM so if you are seeing this low in the west.....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.