Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

How to tell father of baby I’m pregnant? He’s married?

So basically what the title says...neither of us expected this to happen and I was in the beginning of breaking our relationship off because I feel guilty and know it can’t end well. But now I’m pregnant and I know for sure it’s his. We’re meeting this weekend for dinner and I feel like telling him then but idk if a public place is best. Please help. What do I do? How do i break the news? Where? What do I say? I know he won’t be happy about it or even want the kid...

• Foofa

If you know he won't be happy but you're for whatever reason planning to keep the baby anyway this news might more safely be delivered via voice call. This is a dangerous position for a woman to be in. On the other hand if you're not planning to even keep the pregnancy and you were already ending things anyway maybe he doesn't need (or want) to know at all. 

Get a abortion, or live a tough life.

• KTJoe

Two choices either break up (without telling dummy), move on with "Care package" or (tell dummy) while sitting in your car break up, than move on with "Care package(baby)".  Either way you must say good-bye MAN..what a price to pay for having sex with a married woman's creepy husband. How could you be so silly, so dumb.

First of all you had no business getting involved with a married man second of all he's not going to stick around for you or you're newborn child so get used to being a single parent doing it all by yourself. if abortion is not an option for you I suggest you get a good paying job and save up money and take care of your child by yourself.

PS you're going to go through your pregnancy all by yourself alone he's not going to be around to rub your feet or run to the store to get you weird craving foods because he has a wife at home and probably a family too that's what you get

• GB

So you weren't aware that having sex could lead to pregnancy? If you are a minor, tell your parents first. So you were led astray, by a wicked older man?  If you are an adult, you should have considered the possibility of pregnancy. 

I agree with shyguy as far as he took it, but for some odd reason he didn't assign any blame to you.  Clearly, you're 50 percent of this.  Also, I think going to dinner is a terrible idea.  This isn't a convo you want to have in a restaurant, and it would be very stressful to wait until the meal is over and go someplace private.

You mentioned how you think he'll react, but you didn't say anything about yourself.  You need to think this through completely before you talk to him.  There are 2 other options besides you having and raising this baby.  And your thought process should be about what's best for that baby more than anything else.  

• shyguy

You have to just tell him like it is.  "I am pregnant and you are the father" - He may very well tell you to get an abortion because he wants to save his marriage, avoid child support for the next 18 years, etc. so be ready for any answer he may give but know that it is up to you, not him on what to do.  He probably will drop you like a hot potato and hope you will just go away. Don't feel sorry for him, he is a cheater etc and should not be allowed to avoid his responsibilities. There are a lot of couples out there who would love to have a baby so adoption is an option.   I would be interested in his response - maybe you can add on after this weekend. 

• why not show up at his house and tell is wife first? you'll get his attention for sure then. 

There is no easy way of telling him that you are pregnant, so its probably best to say it straight up without beating around the bush. It's definitely not an ideal situation for many reasons. You are in this now and there is no going back. If he decides that he wants nothing to do with the baby, then you have a few options. You can love that beautiful baby with all you got. Or you can put it up for adoption. Just know that if things get to hard for you financially, there are programs and many resources that can help you raise your baby. Just know that you are not alone. 

Your flippant "the kid" makes me wonder about you, not him.  I would think that saying, "You're married and I'm pregnant and I know for sure the kid is yours" is a good beginning.  He will doubt that it's "his kid," so when "the kid" is born there will be DNA tests.  I'd tell him in a very public place.  Oh, bring money so when he leaves for the mens room and never comes back you can pay the check.