Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Can I still drive, if I think I am a horrible driver?

First, I have a horrible fear of driving. I don't know why but perhaps it is because I got in a terrible accident when I was a child. I'm also afraid of getting in an accident. 

Second, I don't really understand driving. I don't know if this is because I have a slight disability....but, I usually don't know where I am going. My sense of direction is absolutely horrible. When someone is like go north on this avenue, I don't know what they are saying. 

Third, I really think I suck at driving. My dad also claims I don't know how to stay in my lane sometimes when driving. I also don't know how to parallel park to save my life. 

I could learn to drive properly.... or I can just use public transportation my whole life. I heard it's cheaper that way, but I may not ever feel truly independent, hmm..

Sadly, no you can not drive.

You stated enough that show you're not ready.

Some people rely on public transportation. Something you might want to try is virtual driving. There are driving instructors that use computer simulation and you can buy software that lets you pretend driving. I've seen a video game that lets the user pretend to be a truck driver. Maybe you can get rid of this feeling with computer use. 

To an experienced driver, the car is like an extension of the driver's body. When I was learning to drive, there was a moment when driving was not like operating a machine. It was like the car was an animal and I was its brain.  

I always think of myself as a new driver. Then I realise I've been driving nearly 30 years. I wouldn't call myself a great driver, but I think the most important thing I remember being taught is anticipation. Always assume the worst is around the corner, because one day it will be. Look through the windscreens of drivers in front and see what they will be encountering first - which is one reason I leave more room when behind van drivers when you can't see through their windows. Use reflections off of other vehicles as a crude mirror at their eyes to see around corners for vehicle lights. Use your mirrors! How many times have you been behind someone, looking in to their mirror to see they never use it? I occasionally have dreams where I'm driving too fast and I'm about to hit the driver in front, and I find I wake up with my foot slamming down as if on the brakes. I have an old car which has a dent in the boot, which was there when I bought it, but I always think other drivers will think I did it!

I would not drive in heavy traffic.

• OTTO

A qualified instructor can help you build confidence. Learning how to drive from people who are not instructors is a good way to take on their fears and bad habits.

Practice makes perfect. You just might need a little more practice than others. Many disabled people are excellent drivers. 

If you cannot get psychological help to overcome your fears from your childhood accident, and you do not get any help to get better driver's training, then you should NOT drive.

You would be a hazard to others on the roads. Stick to public transport.