Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Hey asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 months ago

Why did I lose my vision and balance and how can I prevent it?

A few years ago I woke up one day feeling off and when I stood up I lost control of my balance and my bladder. The room started spinning horribly. My vision faded away into absolute blackness for about a minute or so and no matter how hard I tried to stand up I couldnt control my body and Id fall again. I kept lurching like I was going to vomit and my heart was beating uncomfortably fast. I went to the hospital and they said everything was fine except I had somewhat of a fever and my heart was beating too fast. It took a whole day to recover and I was cold and shivering after everything finally went away. Recently I was trying to learn to ride a bike and about 5 minutes into it I began to feel really off and ill so I stopped. My heart didnt stop racing and seemed to only go faster. My eyes started fading away and I was dizzy again similarly to the first time but this time my hearing started fading away. I had to sit down for a few minutes to recover. Its the most terrifying thing ever and I want to know what to do to stop it because the first time it happened I thought I was dying.

You may have experienced a disorder called vertigo that can make a room spin around your head and you lose your balance. Humans have a mechanism in each ear called cochlea that regulates hearing and balance. It appears your symptoms point towards a hearing disorder that will require an Ear, Nose, Throat specialist to diagnose. Maybe my past experience with hearing and balance can provide some guide to your physical problems. For 20 years I would become ill if I rode in the back seat of an automobile. What happens is the moving of scenery as you look out a window, or your vision becomes blurred and you can become dizzy and have nausea that leads to vomiting. I could not look upward as I became dizzy just like when I would climb out of bed. All the problems occur as you move your head changing the affect on your cochlea. I could not ride on ferries or look out of moving elevators as I would become dizzy. I am a military veteran, and I receive free medical care for life. My hearing was not good. so I had my hearing measured by an Audiologist. I failed the hearing test in my right ear. The audiologist referred me to the Ear, Nose, Throat clinic next door to Audiology. An MRI was scheduled, and a tumor in my right ear was the size of a grape. The tumor is called acoustic neuroma. I was scheduled for surgery, and the surgeon informed me the tumor could not be excised without destroying the cochlea. I loss hearing in my right ear. First, people do not realize when they become dizzy and/or faint without knowing the reason. Most cases are the person is dehydrated. Here are symptoms of dehydration:  dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fever, shaking chills that last an hour. A simple cure is to drink a glass of water or juice each hour for 8 hours for 2 days. This volume of liquid is enough to cancel dehydration. Try this recommendation first to learn whether your dizziness ceases. If your symptoms continue, you need to request your doctor refer you to an ENT specialist who can diagnose the disorder causing your dizziness. Whenever I felt vertigo approaching, I would lie on a couch or bed and place one foot on the floor. This position acted as a boat rudder that would correct the spinning around your head. If you are 19 years old and older and have a membership with SAM'S CLUB or COSTCO, you can get a free hearing test. The hearing test can alert a physician you may have problem with your balance that will not go away without treatment.  Good Luck.