Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 month ago

I have been investing for 7 months and am up to $160 in annual dividends. Do you think my portfolio will survive the coming crash?

Update:

A Hunch, yes it is $160 annually. My Broker calculates dividends.

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Minimal shares in so many companies is pointless. Sell it all and just buy a mutual fund. 

• 1 month ago

If that is your entire portfolio, you are at $94.07 in dividend not $160 for the last 7 months (8/1/2020-3/5/2021)

Even if you include the July dividends and the Pfizer spin off, you aren't close to $160.

In case, you are just really bad at math, you are up about 18% from 8/1.

Almost all of that is based on NIO & Starbucks

Walmart, Pfizer, and AT&T are just about equal to 8/1.

BAC has had a 1/3rd decline and buying on 3 shares ($100)???

With these low volumes why aren't you in a quality mutual fund?

In response to the comments: I didn't realize when you said "up to annual dividends" you really meant "annual".

- However, your broker can't tell you this because dividends are announced less than a month before payment.   Ford paid a dividend at the beginning of 2020 and has stopped; any forecast is just a guesstimate.  But I still really question why you aren't in mutual funds.  It seems such a better fit for your investing style. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Nio is a volatile stock right now, but I am assuming it is a short term play to profit from any gains and buy more dividends? I like your portfolio, strong companies and diverse across technology, consumer goods, financials, and healthcare. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

“If you have trouble imagining a 20% loss in the stock market, you shouldn’t be in stocks.”

- John Bogle

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • fcas80
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I don't recognize a few of these, but the rest are strong companies.  Apple, Walmart, BOA, etc. are certainly going to survive any temporary market decrease.  When prices fall, buy more shares.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.