Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 month ago

I have been investing for 7 months and am up to $160 in annual dividends. Do you think my portfolio will survive the coming crash?

A Hunch, yes it is $160 annually. My Broker calculates dividends.

• kswck2

Minimal shares in so many companies is pointless. Sell it all and just buy a mutual fund. 

If that is your entire portfolio, you are at $94.07 in dividend not $160 for the last 7 months (8/1/2020-3/5/2021)

Even if you include the July dividends and the Pfizer spin off, you aren't close to $160.

In case, you are just really bad at math, you are up about 18% from 8/1.

Almost all of that is based on NIO & Starbucks

Walmart, Pfizer, and AT&T are just about equal to 8/1.

BAC has had a 1/3rd decline and buying on 3 shares ($100)???

With these low volumes why aren't you in a quality mutual fund?

In response to the comments: I didn't realize when you said "up to annual dividends" you really meant "annual".

- However, your broker can't tell you this because dividends are announced less than a month before payment.   Ford paid a dividend at the beginning of 2020 and has stopped; any forecast is just a guesstimate.  But I still really question why you aren't in mutual funds.  It seems such a better fit for your investing style. 

Nio is a volatile stock right now, but I am assuming it is a short term play to profit from any gains and buy more dividends? I like your portfolio, strong companies and diverse across technology, consumer goods, financials, and healthcare. 

“If you have trouble imagining a 20% loss in the stock market, you shouldn’t be in stocks.”

- John Bogle

• fcas80

I don't recognize a few of these, but the rest are strong companies.  Apple, Walmart, BOA, etc. are certainly going to survive any temporary market decrease.  When prices fall, buy more shares.