Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Is it bad that I feel ashamed for being related to a criminal?

My uncle is a criminal and has been thrown into prison. And no, it’s not for some cookie cutter bs, but more like murder. I feel disgusting and ashamed for even having a relation this man and there is I can do to escape this though. I feel like a bad person, even though I did nothing at all. 

He’s also a rapist. He raped my cousin.

It sounds like there is not enough drama in your own life, so you've decided to add his even though it doesn't concern you.

That's completely normal. Your uncle did something that probably has the whole family feeling ashamed. But you are not him.

• ?

YOu did not do the crime, nothing for you to be ashamed of.

• ?

i dont think so

Absolutely not. In no way is it your fault. You just happen to be related to him, but that does not define you as a person. Although as usual, you will end up feeling a yucky guilt surge you. Everybody that is knowingly related to a criminal have a guilt bone in them, just like you do. You are not alone. Billions of people have a very rotten apple in their family.

• Ron

It's normal. He has disgraced your family name. He has stained your family pride. Feeling uncomfortable about it seems like only a natural reaction. But ultimately, it is not what defines you. It certainly doesn't predict your future or provide any excuses. 

• Susie

There is/was a tv show that interviewed relatives of heinous criminals. They all shared your feelings of shame and even guilt.  Some had moved and changed their names to distance themselves from their relative in order to lead a normal life. That is understandable.  Just know  that you are not your relative, and what he did is no one’s fault but his own.  

I understand. I’m actually related to Jeffrey Dahmer (won’t say how though). I even had the same exact last name as him. I felt ashamed for MONTHS after I found out. Eventually, I got married (thank the Lord). But let me tell you, you’re NOT a bad person just because of what a relative has committed. It’s NOT your fault at the very least. And don’t listen to what any of the trolls have to say. Almost everyone, if not all, have a close relation to someone that’s downright evil.