Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

I introduced my dog to house food and now she won’t eat her dog food. What to do?

I would give her chicken, pepperoni and fries. I would give her a bit always of what I was eating on the table. 

Now I serve her dog food and she looks at it and just walks away and won’t eat it until she starves. She has cravings for the chicken and all that good human food stuff. 

• ?

Get her a good dog food and she will be fine eating it.  Try a kibble from Nutrisource of Taste of the Wild. 

• Rita

How can I get a picky dog to eat their food?

Give highly palatable and nutritious food.

Make sure the food smells right.

If you're feeding your dog kibble, add some warm water, bone broth, or wet food.

Offer home-cooked food.

Cut down on treats and avoid feeding off the table.

Praise the dog for eating the food.

You make a big mistake by introducing her to table food.  Now you got a problem but you caused it yourself.  You have created a beggar.  Stop giving table food. Put the dog in another room when you eat.  Leave the dog food for her to eat when she gets hungry.  A dog will not starve itself if food is available.  She will eat it when she is hungry enough.

• jean

i used to make my dog their food and freeze it and take out as necessary. I would cook lean meat, brown rice and veges together.

Let it starve.  Its Not like you can lead a dog to kibble and make it eat. 

A problem entirely of YOUR OWN making.  As advised = (STOP all human food.)  Offer a smaller portion of her former kibble (until she is willing to eat) and when she does get *HUNGRY ENOUGH* she will get off her FOOD STRIKE, and go back to eating as she was before she was spoiled, by you.

The diet you offered was totally UNBALANCED and unhealthy for the dog (high in salt) and in addition was high in dangerous types of fat - which could lead to a bout of pancreatitis (and a very LARGE vet bill).

• ?

Needless to say you should never give a dog "people food". It causes this kind of behavior and can actually be bad for them. In some instances toxic.

Just set her food down and give it a couple of days. Once she understands that you are not giving her any other food she will eat it.

Her wish u know