Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

What should I say in my best man speech?

Anyone have any personal experience? My brother is getting married tomorrow, and I’m his best man. Mine isn’t very long yet. I’ve been working on it a little, but I’m not sure what I could add. Does it have to be long? How long are they usually? Also I’m pretty nervous because I’m not a good public speaker, and there’s gonna be over a 100 people there at the wedding. 

• Trish

You don't make a speech you give a toast and it shouldn't be long others will want to toast the bride and groom too.

First remember people talk and are listened to daily.

This is a toast not a huge speech...

Some of the best toasts are humorous, with a little love & heart...it's your brother....something like this

Through all the brotherly battles we grew through and for all the times i sought revenge by washing your toothbrush in the toilet. I love you...im so happy you grew up and someone else wants to live with you. This is just another chapter in our lives and im delighted you found someone wonderful.

I don't know why Foofa has been downvoted-- they have it absolutely right. You should 

-introduce yourself

-give a one or two short anecdotes about the groom or the couple

-make some glowing remarks about the bride, how well-suited the couple are, or the excellence of the married state in general

-welcome the bride to the family

-ask the guest to raise their glasses and join you in wishing the newlyweds a long and joyful life. 

Keep any jokes gentle, sentiments sincere, and stay away from any subjects not fit for a wedding (such as death or old girlfriends). That's all that's required.

• drip

If you are in the US, we traditionally give a toast, not a speech. A short toast on wishing the couple well.  A couple of minutes is all that is needed.  Don’t try to be funny if you are naturally not, do not try to embarrass your brother. Do not embarrass the bride.   

Keep it short. Very short.

Think about how long a radio ad can seem. And those ads are 15 seconds. Think of it as more of a toast than a speech. Mostly you that your brother's a great guy, that you welcome your new sister to your family, and then ask everyone to join you in wishing the newlyweds a lifetime of marital bliss.

It should be no more than 10 minutes long. 

Make sure you toast the right people. Don't tell any stories about prior girlfriends, or any story that your grandmother shouldn't hear. 

• T J

Did you know there is no rule you must give it.     I got stuck like you, my BS speech had to be the shortest on record. Raise your glass to the couple, put key words from what you have written, say them,wish them good luck and walk away to your seat, or you can just disappear and go home before the reception. Believe me if I did not have riders with me, I would have left and went home. Truthfully, I did not want to even be the best man. I did it because he had no one else to do it. It was a day of hell for me,, I never drank so much in my life, and I kept leaving the hall, taking a walk, so Im not in any pictures. I actually stole a roll of film from the guy.

• ?

The standard is something like:

- Introduce yourself as the groom's brother.

- Tell an endearing yet semi embarrassing childhood anecdote about your brother.

- Mention the moment you knew he was going to end up marrying the bride.

- Wish them a long and happy life together.

- Invite the audience to toast them.

- Get off stage. 

• ?

I don't know what's normal for a wedding toast in your family, but since you don't either, I'm going to assume they're like most people, and would prefer not to hear anything longer than a minute or so at most. (And I don't recommend embarrassing stories.)