Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 month ago

If alcohol is a depressant, why does it also make me giggly?

I'm a happy-go-lucky moron when drunk. Very friendly, and I think everything's hilarious, whereas I am usually very reserved.

It reduces inhibitions - all inhibitions hence people who get drunk do STUPID things like screw friends they shouldn't, get in a car and drive, climb railroad signals and watch trains go under etc. 

• Rita

Some of the more “classic” effects seem based around this depressant effect. Alcohol suppresses activity in the prefrontal cortex and temporal lobes. The prefrontal cortex is responsible for rational thought, planning, assessment, anger suppression, all the complex things that go out the window after the 6th pint.

Booze brings out your personality and true self. I too laugh my butt off on facebook or yahoo when everyone else seems so depressing, boring, and uptight.

Some people alcohol is a stimulant. 

K used to drink on the job and it was like an energy drink for me.

Edit: look at the answers . See what I mean lol. I love hangovers. Especially when I got drunk and high the night before. You learn to master them.

Besides that. Booze helps me with stress and no heart attacks or anxiety. 

It's only like that for the time that you're drunk when it wears off you're gonna feel off. You're not gonna feel like yourself if you have anxiety and depression those will get worse and the effects of it catch up to you in time. Just because it's a depressant doesn't mean you feel bad while you're drinking it. It's after that they're talking about.

• kswck2

A depressant doesn't make you depressed, rather it slows down, or depresses your nervous system. 

• Janet

By "depressant" they are not talking about your MOOD.

"Depressants" are medicines/drugs that "depress" (slow down) your nervous system.  Not just alcohol, but all pain-killers and opiates too. Too much heroin will depress your nervous system SO much that you stop breathing and die.  Typically, these drugs are referred to as "CNS depressants" (CNS is for Central Nervous System).

A depressant is not something that makes you emotionally depressed. It's something that depresses the activity in certain parts of your brain. In the case of alcohol, one of the parts is the place where inhibitions come from.