Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Pro's vs Con's on adopting a dog over purchasing one ?

I'm interested in hearing the pro's and cons of adopting a dog and purchasing one.

Right now I'm not sure if I want to adopt or if I should purchase one directly from a breeder.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • TK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Unless the rescue or shelter gives you the animal for free, you are purchasing it anywhere you get it.  

If any dog will do, then browse the shelters and rescues.  There are dogs with decent personalities that haven't been ruined by human neglect.  You'll get no support or help negotiating any problems with the dog, so line up a good trainer and veterinarian before you bring the dog home. 

If you are looking for a specific set of characteristics, then a well bred purebred will have a predictable temperament and physical traits.  Your breeder will be there for the dog's life to give you tips and to take the dog back if at any time in the future you cannot keep him.    

• 2 months ago

The dogs & cats in places where you can adopt from are all bred by BYBers & Puppy Mills.  I would adopt rather than pad their pockets.  They charge way too much for their mutts & an adoption fee is far less than what a breeder sells them for.  Same dogs in the pounds, shelters & rescues as the ones bred by these awful breeders.  So adopting is much cheaper & you don't pad the pocket of an unethical breeder.

You will not find a good quality, well bred dog in any of these places.  Reputable breeders have a list of prospective buyers & people have to wait their turn to buy a pup.  These dogs cost a lot more but they are a far better quality than the others.  

• Amber
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Either way training of some kind will be needed for a bought dog or an adopted one. My elderly neighbour looked round rescues and got two senior jack russle's that were all ready well trained. They were only there because their former owner had died. They didn't need any training, all they needed was to get used to a new routine. The pros and cons really depend on what dog you get. With a bought dog (assuming puppy) how that dog progress is all down to you. But I don't like supporting poor breeders.

With a rescue, it's one less dog in a home so another one can be helped. They are spayed and neutered (vet bill saved) vaccinated (vet bill saved) microchipped (another vet bill saved). 

I prefer to rescue as I don't get the hype with a puppy. They are hard work and don't stay a puppy for long. I'd rather take on an older dog. The pros and cons really are subjective. It also depends on what your local rescues have to offer.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It depends on how "into" animal rescue you are.  You adopt a older dog, it may have bad habits or habits which you don't like. You get a puppy, you write on the slate.  I trust very few breeders, and I have rescued a total of 4 AKC German Shepherd dogs, all about 6 months of age.

• 2 months ago

You usually can only BUY (not adopt) from a breeder and it will be a puppy with ZERO training (a blank slate).  So no good or bad habits & you will be 100% RESPONSIBLE for how it does (or DOES NOT) turn out and whether it behaves.  If you research a breeder carefully, you can find those doing everything possible, to produce healthy dogs or excellent temperaments (for their specific breed),  But you often have to go on a waiting list (even without Covid) and rarely do breeders have more than 1 or two litters yearly - if that.

If you adopt, you have to take what you can find at a shelter or rescue group (as to breed, mix, gender & age).  It may or may not be purebred or in some cases it may NOT even recognizable as any KNOWN breed(s).  It may or may not have any training (may not even be housebroken) and may have bad habits, but will be very inexpensive, and you can often adopt a dog in a month or less.  If you adopt - you save a life, since many shelters are KILL facilities.

If you go through rescue groups they can vary widely as to whether they only place purebreds (of a certain breed, or not) and their adoption fees are HIGHER than publicly tax-supported shelters ...BUT, In many cases the dogs are placed in private foster homes - where they get to know the dog well and it does (often get get training to be housebroken & crate-trained) and often it gets MORE vet work.  if the dog is heartworm positive, they often PAY to treat it (before you get it) unlike shelters.  Unlike shelters, nearly all rescue groups are NO-KILL, but until a dog is adopted, they will not have more room/space to take in, any additional dogs.

Both shelters & rescue do have a short length of time for return (with a refund) if the dog does not work out.  Breeders do not usually take puppies back (or if so) only under certain circumstances, and may NOT refund all of the purchase price, if they have to advertise & find a new home.  (Older puppies are not nearly as appealing as -8 weeks olds are, to buyers.)  

Really good and ethical breeders offer some type of WRITTEN health guarantee on their puppies as to things like hips, thyroid, hearts, eyes, etc. and will refund some purchase price if a vet finds an issue, when the dog can be definitively screened for X issue/condition.  A good breeder DOES NOT require return of such a dog, for you to get a partial refund but would certainly REQUIRE spay or neuter if the dog was not 100% healthy or if SOLD as strictly "pet" (non breeding quality) stock.

• 2 months ago

Pros of adoption- One less unwanted animal for shelters to worry about, little money to adopt, giving a pet a second chance at a good, happy life. You CAN find puppy adoptions, BTW, you just have to dig around your area, or even further out. Also, many dogs up for adoption are already spayed, neutered, chipped, and basic vet care and needs met up until that point, like checkups and shots.

Cons of adoption- The shelters rarely know every detail before the dog was taken in; the homelife, the possible abuse that could have happened, medical history, etc. You take home what you pick and that's that. It can be challenging, as the sweet, happy dog you saw at the shelter turns into a crazed, destructive dog in your house. Also, many are mixed breed and many are unknown, so it's hard to pinpoint growth, age, what could come up in the future, etc. Also, if you end up with a timid dog, the process of bonding and being a right fit for your family can be very trying.

Pros of buying a puppy outright- You know what you're getting, you're getting it young, and you can train them up and socialize them correctly. They will be bonded to YOU and your family from 8 weeks on. You can introduce them to grooming, loud noises, ease them into your every day routine and get them used to everything. With breeds, you can determine what to expect, as in weight, height, what to expect when they get older, etc. Added bonus, PUPPY BREATH!

Cons of buying a puppy outright- Many people are swindled by careless breeders, so ask for papers and make sure they are a reputable breeder. Purebred pups can be very expensive, too, some upwards of $8-10,000, not even joking, and depends on the breed you're after. Golden Retrievers, for example, may not be that much as they are a very popular breed to get, but still...my mom paid $4,000 for one of her girls! Also, everything brand new for the vet, so all fixing, shots, and boosters are coming out of your pocket as needed.

Whatever you choose, you're giving a pup a good home. I can tell, as you asked this question. I adopted a puppy, 4 months old, and still didn't know what to expect with him. He ended up being a neurotic ball of nerves, but with time and patience (going on 2 years now), he's really gotten better. He was all of $300 and worth every penny. It's been a fun rollercoaster, that's for sure!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Pro adopt = less unwanted dogs to abort

Pro new = you can train it early so it can be smart for a life time

Con adoption = sheltered dogs are there for a reason. They are either dumb or dangerous 

Con new = may take time to train it so it can act smart. 

Source(s): Get a fish instead
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.