Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 month ago

What was the point of Windows 2000 when Windows XP would come out just a year later?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It has to do with the integration of DOS.

There were backwards compatibility problems because Windows 2000 wasn't a DOS based system and Windows ME was, and Windows ME would had appeared better to home users. 

When they finally got the backwards compatibility right with their NT platform, they then released Windows 2000 in a nicer package, with a new gui, driver install upon plug in, and dos support for legacy devices, WINDOWS XP.

• 1 month ago

Actually, it was 1 year and 8 months later than XP came out.

At that point in time, there was Windows 98 and ME which were for consumers, and Windows NT which was for business.

Windows NT was getting pretty long in the tooth at that point, and needed a refresh, which was Windows 2000.  I remember getting that upgrade at my employer at the time.  It was a real improvement over NT.

Windows XP joined the consumer and corporate track together.  In essence, XP grafted the Windows 95/98/Me look and feel onto the NT/2000 core, doing away with the underlying DOS code base that had been present in previous consumer versions of Windows.

• Lv 7
    1 month ago

2000 was for businesses.

XP was for home users.

• 1 month ago

Originally, XP was for home users and 2000 was aimed at commercial use.  

2000 was replaced by XP Professional a few years later. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Windows 2000 was a business-oriented operating system, whereas Windows XP was aimed more at 'mainstream' users. i.e. leaning more towards home users as well as business users.

Releasing two Operating Systems within such a short space of time made Microsoft even richer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.