? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

If a criminal case in Nebraska gets dismissed without prejudice, is there a time limit (statute of limitations) for them to reopen the case?

I can't seem to find specific information about this online. My boyfriend got charged with a few criminal charges and the case was dismissed without prejudice. Months later, he suddenly got arrested (yesterday) and told that they reopened the case. It has been months since they dismissed it, so is there a time limit where it is not legal to reopen the case. It seems to vary by state, and Nebraska's laws seem extremely complicated. I'm waiting on a call back from a lawyer, but is there anyone who knows law that can help me out with this question in the meantime?

The ORIGINAL Statute of Limitations to charge you with the crime still applies.

It's USUALLY 3 years in Nebraska, but without reading the actual Court Order there is no way to know.  It would appear to me that if the DA chose to "reopen the case," the statute has not expired.

the time limit is usually 3 years.  however, for the worst crimes, there is NO time limit.

Statute of limitations generally run for years. The exact time depends on the crime being charged. In Nebraska, many felonies are 3 years. A few are 7 years.

• Kathy

It depends on the crime involved.