Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 month ago

should tobacco cigarettes become illegal?

also I think alcohol beverages should come in plain black and white packaging and and liquor advertisement online or on tv should become outright ill

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

No, that's crazy.  Nicotine is bad stuff, but that doesn't mean we should cut people off from it.  It's an addiction, not a moral failing people need to be kept from.

Black and white packaging from alcohol?  That's no good either.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

So you think products that pose a potential for harm should not be sold? Man, I'm going to miss lawn mowers, candy, fireplaces, baked goods, Q-tips, and so much more.

Oh, wait, we didn't give you that authority. Whew! Consumers remain free to enjoy things that may be bad for them, assuming the risks as they do so.

• Making something illegal doesn't do anything; you'll simply have a thriving black market and governments will lose out on tax revenue.

Same for liquor, but let's apply that flawed logic since you think it's dangerous or whatever to some other products:

-38,800 Americans died in car accidents in 2019 so you'll want a ban on cars, petroleum, and any car-related delivery systems.

-It's estimated that alcohol (due to alcoholism) kills around 65,000 Americans a year according to NIH data.

-Heart disease kills around 650,000 Americans each year.  So that'll knock out any advertising for food, restaurants, stores that sell food, etc.

These decisions would eliminate around 19-35 million jobs and cost your economy just over $4.5 trillion in economic activity in a year.  If this happened your economy would go straight past recession and into a depression and likely causing a global depression.  The ripple effect would see another 25-40 million jobs and trillions of economic activity gone away.

• 1 month ago

No, it wouldn't work any more than banning alcohol did in the 1920s. The level of civil disobedience would be too high.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • blank
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In my opinion-no.I feel adults should be able to make their own choice and they should be kept away from children.Here is Massachusetts ,US you have to be 21 or older.They passed the law  a while back.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Let's just make ANYthing that MIGHT be harmful to a person Illegal. AND...let's start with tobacco, alcohol, beef, highly processed foods, non-bottled water, frozen foods, well, heck , MOST foods. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

So you think products that pose a potential for harm should not be sold? Man, I'm going to miss lawn mowers, candy, fireplaces, baked goods, Q-tips, and so much more.

Oh, wait, we didn't give you that authority. Whew! Consumers remain free to enjoy things that may be bad for them, assuming the risks as they do so.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.