Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Legal Question Music Copyright?

My friend is a DJ and I wanted to use his music for intros on Youtube or Twitch. I already have his permission but, would remixes of copyrighted songs be flagged or must they be completely original? Tried google but just says that I must have been given permission from the holder of the copyright in order to not be flagged.

Favorite Answer

You said it yourself - "Tried google but just says that I must have been given permission from the holder of the copyright in order to not be flagged."

If he wrote and performed the music, he is the copyright holder.  If he didn't, he isn't.  You need permission from the actual copyright holder.

In this day and age, you can often just "infringe" someone else's copyright and get away with it because only the copyright owners have the legal right to try to stop you. If they don't care, then nobody else matters.  Yes, technically you need a license to distribute copies of such works, but YT has no possible way of knowing who has what ownership or licenses unless there is a written "copyright claim" submitted by someone against your video.

The bad news is that the copyright owners can also simply sue you for $150,000 for each recognizable song you used without permission. Or, you can be a Boy Scout and get the required licenses for each and every work you plan to use.  Some might offer FREE or inexpensive one-time licenses for casual use.

Google is right - you MUST have permission of the holder of the copyright in order to use the music.

My understanding--and I'm not a lawyer--is that there is no portion of a song short enough to be used freely without permission, even if the user makes no money from such use. Giving credit to the artist does not mean it's all right to use their creation.