Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Car insurance.?

So I’ve had car insurance on my car and my moms car with the same company for a few years now. Farm-bureau of Idaho. I’m in the military so I moved out of Idaho and got stationed in Arizona, my insurance knows about this since we talked about it. They said they would still cover me.

A month ago, I got a cracked windshield and it definitely needed to be replaced. They referred me to safelite and I was told to pay the $500 deductible. I never got it fixed but the claim is still open so I can do it whenever I want to.

The issue is that I have comprehensive on my car (full coverage insurance), which means according to Arizona law, I am not supposed to pay any deductible or out of pocket expenses as long as I have full coverage (comprehensive) on my car.

I just talked to my agent and he says that his office only follows idaho laws so I still have to pay  the deductible even though I live in Arizona and my insurance agreed to cover me in Arizona.

Does this make sense?

10 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Your coverage is the coverage you pay for.  I live in AZ, moved to AZ from NY.  The coverage that was written (and paid for) in NY was in effect in AZ.  I then changed my residence (with the same company) and insured my vehicles in AZ.  The premium was less (insurance is based on the percentage of claims) but the coverage was identical.  It is NOT true that you can have the repair done at any time.  Some companies put expiration dates on claims.  A deductible in one State is the deductible in another.  Thank you for your service.

  • 1 month ago

    Lies.  Your coverage is exactly the same in every state.  It would be a violation of interstate commerce if it was not.  Contact the Arizona AG.  Their Dept of Justice handles car insurance.  btw.  Since you are in the military, you need to have car insurance with USAA.  They are much cheaper than any company and give good service.

  • 1 month ago

    You've been given some bad intel.  There is no such law that says that in Arizona, nor is there such a law in any other state or province.  There are auto insurance laws in Arizona for sure, but none of them make any reference to your Comprehensive deductible or who pays it.  

    The info you looked up (I looked it up too) does mention zero-deductible glass coverage, which is commonly available (and surprisingly affordable) in the state of Arizona.  But it is not required by law, and coverage with a deductible is an option.  Having no glass coverage at all is also an option in Arizona, just like everywhere else.  Zero-deductible coverage is common in Arizona, but it's not required by any law.

    Your contract says you accepted a $500 deductible on Comp coverage (which does include auto glass), so your insurance policy is allowed to deduct $500 from the cost of your windshield replacement.  

    Maybe you can make a deal with the glass company, probably not but maybe.  Nobody will blame you for asking, and they might just say yes.  Insurance companies don't care who covers the deductible, as long as it's not them.

  • May
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    I have never heard of anyone or any state waiving a comprehensive deductible.

    Also, I believe that your definition of "comprehensive" is incorrect.  Your definition of "full coverage" being "comprehensive" is wrong.  The term "full coverage" (is obsolete and should not be used) but is usually meant to say that one has liability, collision and comprehensive.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    If you had insured it in Arizona and not Idaho, you'd be covered, but you insured it in Idaho and they do not have that mandatory coverage law. When they said you were "covered" in Arizona, they didn't mean for that, only collision and liability. 

  • Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Yes it does.  Next time switch to Farm Bureau of Arizona then check on prices of windshields (350 bucks on average) before laying a claim to insurance.

  • 1 month ago

    If you are still on the same policy as the car in Idaho or you still have coverage thru the agent in Idaho then yes,  Idaho law applies.   Specially if you have the car registered in Idaho and have Idaho plates on it.   If you did NOT move the registration down to Arizona and stick Arizona plates on it and get it insured by a company licensed to do insurance in Arizona then you are stuck.   

  • 1 month ago

    I claim bullshit on the deductible business, so if you are trying to use your comprehensive, you have a deductible.

    You need a separate full glass coverage rider if you don't want to pay the deductible on having glass replaced.

  • 1 month ago

    Since you are residing in AZ, contact the state Insurance Department and file a complaint.  I think the deductible will still apply.  Deductibles are only waived when the windshield can be repaired.  (retired claims adjuster.)

  • 1 month ago

    You do not have an Arizona policy and the laws in Arizona don't dictate your coverage. Your insurance company agreed to extend their coverage to you in Arizona.  Not provide you an Arizona based plan.

    You have an Idaho insurance contract and Idaho law regulates your coverage. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.