Twi asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Why do I uncontrollably snap or tap my fingers and or clap my hands?

I'm asking this for a friend because she doesn't have a yahoo account. She thinks she may have a form of tourettes. She said it starts usually with feeling a jolt through her. She'll suddenly snap her fingers, tap on the table, or clap her hands for no reason, usually just a single one or a few. She thinks the clapping started when she was about 16, before that it'd be a head jerk, it's kind of evolved. She'll feel the jolt and either snap or clap. If at a table she'll tap. Sometimes a couple of taps and a clap. She's 23 years old if that helps any and she believes she has undiagnosed ADHD.

I asked her about meds and she is not on any medication, hasn't been most of her life. Only ever gone on antibiotics for sicknesses and taken pain medicine for well, obvious reasons. 

Also she wanted me to add that she still gets head jerks and will snap her fingers when in a conversation and it happens when she's excited or bored. She'll sometimes twitch her ears or her nostrils and make random noises that she can do. She'll twitch her head suddenly and feel a shiver down her arm or spine.

Favorite Answer

What she has is called a neurological tic.

Now she can look this up online using WebMD or by going to the Mayo Clinic website to learn. 

but as a young child, her parents should have taken her to a neurologist for this to get it diagnosed and treated.  But they failed to get her the medical help she needs to overcome this. 

Good news is that she is an adult now and can do this herself.

• ?

luck of b vitamins

• ALBERT

It seems like it is some kind of unconscious way to relieve tension

It sounds like an anxiety issue. I get anxiety attacks and sometimes it feels a bit like an electrical charge that makes me want to jump out of my seat (or bed) and start pacing around the room. It's like you feel the anxiety rise and you physically have to express it. Sounds like your friend could be experiencing something like that.

• garry

thinks you need a shrink !!!

maybe your just nuts

tapping can be a subconscious calming technique. 

• ?

Undiagnosed ADHD?  lol OK

If she's concerned she has tourettees, then she could consider seeing a doc who can help

Maybe she's taking some kind of medication for bipolar that causes it.

It's ADD or OCD. Try not doing it..