Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Car not starting?

I got a new battery fitted 11 months ago, and it worked fine but then my car wouldn't start back in November but i assumed that was because i wasn't driving it as much because of lockdown in the uk so i jump started it and it worked fine. 

but now today, it didn't start again even though i only last drove it 4 days ago (3x short 5-10 min journeys in the space of 1 hour) and i got an MOT and service just 2 months ago and everything passed there were no issues with electrics or battery. it started once my neighbour came to help jump start it for me. but what could the issue be? 

pls note, my car's touch screen on my stereo has also stopped working so i'm suspecting if it could be electrical but then i don't know since the mechanic didn't mention anything wrong with electrical components in my car?

• arther

the radio screen not working is a sign the radio is the parasite running the battery down when your not driving the car for a week at a time. assuming the replacement battery is the correct battery of reasonable quality if you brought a cheapie it may be battery?

GET THE BATTERY BENCH TESTED and re-charged, or REPLACE IT. Making lots of short trips is the worst way to abuse a battery. Invest in a trickle charger to keep it in good shape.  

You may have a dead draw on the battery from a light left on or similar, you may also need to physically ensure the battery cables are secured properly to the posts to get the best charging and starting performance. I don't like the stamped steel terminals, and while I'm not overly eager to use old-school terminals I don't mind swapping them out if the factory ones are damaged or fail to tighten right. 

After you do the inspections for connections and lights left on, I'd take it to the shop and have the charging system draw tested for alternator performance. 

• Jay P

Charge the battery and then load test the charging system.

Battery is likely shot.  Get it charged and load tested.  Get the car's charging system (alternator) checked.