Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 2 months ago

Is motorcycle riding really that dangerous? ?

I’m thinking about getting my first motorcycle and my friends and family are worried that I’ll be hurt or killed. 

I LOVE motorcycles and had  a 100cc twin two stroke at 15. Best years of my life BUT I was nearly killed when a gorgeous rich chick failed to yield  and I smashed into her without a helmet. Hospitalized over a month, smashed pelvis, concussions, broken ribs. A miracle I survived. It was my fault because I was not driving defensively! You are vulnerable on a cycle and people in cars always screw up. You MUST anticipate their likely mistakes, flash your high beams at people who might run stop signs, be prepared to stop when you approach an intersection even if there isn't a stop sign. Drivers don't see you. Headlights always help but you can't count on other drivers to look before changing lanes, not tailgate you, pull out in front of you.  They will do it and you will only survive if you are ready to avoid them. 

• ALBERT

I bought a scooter like 10 years ago thinking it might be worthwhile considering the price of gas. I put 18,000 miles on it with no accident. I had a few close calls because of strong side winds but the main reason I stopped is because of the large number of pot holes that makes riding kind of dangerous, with many lengthwise grooves the size of the front tire (when they srape lines separating lanes. On top of that it seems that when I drive my car I see so many individuals texting or on their phone and unable to focus properly on their driving and therefore swerving all over the lane of traffic and sometimes swerving in the lane next to them. when riding a motorcycle we have little protection ! Even a very light weight car can through you in the path of traffic of an 18 wheeler.. In case you decide to get a motorcycle to discover America it might be, somewhat much less dangerous but to comute everyday I want to say that go for it in case you have a strong confidence that you have a good set of guardian angels to protect you because , as they say it is a jungle out there!

i started riding 50 years ago and like one person has already stated for the most part they are not dangerous. just do not start showing off as just as soon as you think your in control of the bike it will soon show you that is is in full control. also learn to watch every intersection. you should be doing that now driving your car.

another thing is to remember when i front of a car ride towards the right side of the road, if a car passes and did not see you you have some time to move a bit more the the right if not off to the right side. i have been there lots of times. also make sure you ride with the headlight on. drives have to see you to not hit you. and pay attention to what your doing. with time it all becomes second nature. happy riding i alway did 

Source(s): 50 years of riding
  • adam

No it isnt. Not in and of itself.  Most motorcycle accidents are not the fault of the Motorcycle rider. The most common accident is a vehicle making a left turn in front of the motorcycle. [I believe] I would say your first motorcycle should be 500 CC or less. I would also say to take the MSF riding course. I would also find an experienced rider to go riding with and learn .  As time goes on your skill will increase and so will your confidence. 

• L

It all depends on the person operating the motorcycle.  Some people are just more dangerous than others.  Both of my son's have a motorcycle; they have for eons and was never in a motorcycle accident because they are both good motorcycle operators.

• garry

yes and no , can be dangerous if you dont know the rules , and its something in  your blood , good riders are born to ride , and most arent , same with care drivers , some are fast but safe and some are dangerous ..best to remember us old riders are born to ride .

DO YOU KNOWETH HOW TO DRIVE SAFE WITH BIGGER VEHICLE?

I knew 3 people personally that have been killed riding at young ages.

When I was taking driving class, the instructor would call them organ donors. 

The problem with motorcyclists is that they’re hard to see and they think they’re above the law. How many times have you seen them drive between cars in a traffic jam. They’re weaving in and out. If you get it, the only thing protecting you is your helmet and the Kevlar jacket. 

Yes, you're too vulnerable to other peoples mistakes as well as your own.