Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 1 month ago

How likely is it for an ultrasound to miss a DVT in leg?

I began experiencing some pain below my calf last month. The pain seemed to be fixed right over my Achilles and would only hurt as I walked or if I pressed on it. The pain went away for a few weeks until about 2 days ago. I woke up and felt the exact same pain as I walked around, only difference this time was that I had to work and be standing all day. The pain would be felt as I walked but when I sat down or took a rest I wouldn’t feel the pain. The day after the pain seemed to radiate to my general leg, especially behind my knee. When I try to put my leg as straight as can be or even bend my leg I feel the pain behind the knee. I’ve also been having sort of muscle spasms on my calf. Yesterday I went to the ER where they performed an ultrasound. Since there was no swelling, although I see some swelling, or discoloration the doctor didn’t believe it could be anything serious. The ultrasound did not spot anything either and I was discharged with muscle cramps. I don’t know how much I believe this diagnosis and I’m worried they, or the ultrasound might’ve missed soemthing

• Tavy

Ultrasounds do NOT miss anything. A DVT causes swelling and redness, it does not stop and start. You have strained a muscle.