blank
blank asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Would you get your brother a guitar for his 20th birthday?

One of my brother's is going to turn 20 in a couple of weeks.I am planning on getting him quite a few gift cards or i might just give him cash.I would also like to get him a guitar but he has never really played a guitar and does not know how to play.I was going to give him music lessons with a legit person that teaches music as a package deal fully paid for by me.So my question is should I even bother doing this?i feel like it would be a nice hobby for him to keep him busy outside of work so he does not keep getting in trouble.Any tips?Suggetions?Advice?Opinions?

Also he lives with me.

He can not drive legally so I do not want to get him anything that is related or  something for a vehicle.

I did ask him.He said gift cards.

I figured gift cards and cash may be lazy too.But when I asked him what he wanted he said gift cards.I would like to get him some stuff outside of that but I am  not sure about what to get him.Which is why I came up with the guitar idea.As people have mentioned and I agree maybe it is not worth it unless he shows interest. He does not have many hobbies.I may get him the gift cards but also ask what he wants other then just that.Even though he is 20 I would love to see him open something.

• Jill
    Favorite Answer

I wouldn't buy him a guitar unless he had shown some interest in learning how to play. If not it will sit in a corner gathering dust. Why not ask him for some suggestions? Always better to get a present that you actually want.  

• L

Only do this if he's interested in it............if he isn't - then you've just wasted time and money.

Gift cards and cash are very lazy presents as they require no thought.  And the thought you have put in about the guitar may be based upon your desire, not his.  Maybe you think it would be good for him to learn, but if he has no interest, it is waste of money (unless you hope to inherit it from him).  Instead think about what he has shown interest and get some things in line with those ideas.  Good Luck.

If your brother has never showed interest in oning a guitar or learning how to play it, then don't get him one.  Unless you like wasting money.  

• ?

For me, i play but i already have 3 guitars i don’t need that many.  For someone who doesn’t play lessons are helpful if he wants it

I would only get him one if he's expressed interest in it, if not try to get him something that he has expressed interest in

• A

You should ask him if he has any interest in learning to play guitar. It would be a big waste of money if he’s not really committed to it. Music isn’t for everyone. Learning to play guitar takes passion and dedication. If he was really interested in playing guitar, he probably would have started as a child or teenager. Not everyone has a good ear for music and the patience to stick with it. If he wants gift cards, then just stick with that.