Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can Verizon, T- Mobile, AT&T, Sprint, Direct TV, Optimum Online, TD Bank, Bank of America dept collectors garnish my Recovery Rebate Credit ?

I e-filed with the direct deposit for a Recovery Rebate Credit in Turbotax on February 9th than it got excepted on February 13th. I were getting SSI and I had to file for a Recovery Rebate Credit because I accidentally check the box that says someone can claim you as a dependent on April 17th 2020 than it disqualified me from getting 1st, 2nd stimulus check and I never in my life been claimed as a dependent by anyone. Now when I check the IRS2GO or the WMR it is stuck on still being processed with no orange bar. I also have to pay all of these bills.

Can these dept collectors above garnish my Recovery Rebate Credit ?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Payments from the government are LEVIED not garnished

Stimulus checks are only levied for state & federal taxes, child support, and student loans.

However, the minute the money hits your account, it is simply money.  If these companies have a levy order against your bank account, they can grab it as soon as it's in your account.

-- but it doesn't look like you are able to get a bank account, so that's not a worry for you.

You will get the stimulus payment eventually.  the IRS had to do an audit to determine if you are really eligible. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I wish, but no. Bank account is fair game.

• 1 month ago

No, but they can get a levy against a bank account the money is deposited into.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.