Can Verizon, T- Mobile, AT&T, Sprint, Direct TV, Optimum Online, TD Bank, Bank of America dept collectors garnish my Recovery Rebate Credit ?

I e-filed with the direct deposit for a Recovery Rebate Credit in Turbotax on February 9th than it got excepted on February 13th. I were getting SSI and I had to file for a Recovery Rebate Credit because I accidentally check the box that says someone can claim you as a dependent on April 17th 2020 than it disqualified me from getting 1st, 2nd stimulus check and I never in my life been claimed as a dependent by anyone. Now when I check the IRS2GO or the WMR it is stuck on still being processed with no orange bar. I also have to pay all of these bills.

Can these dept collectors above garnish my Recovery Rebate Credit ?

Favorite Answer

Payments from the government are LEVIED not garnished

Stimulus checks are only levied for state & federal taxes, child support, and student loans.

However, the minute the money hits your account, it is simply money.  If these companies have a levy order against your bank account, they can grab it as soon as it's in your account.

-- but it doesn't look like you are able to get a bank account, so that's not a worry for you.

You will get the stimulus payment eventually.  the IRS had to do an audit to determine if you are really eligible. 

I wish, but no. Bank account is fair game.

No, but they can get a levy against a bank account the money is deposited into.