Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

If a guy approaches me to do something as i arrive home from spearfishing&i point the speargun at him as he gets in my face,can i be charged?

He is wanting to sue me, but i was very cautious of this local stalker

You could potentially be charged - but there are a lot of details (where you live, if you were on your property, if you felt threatened, etc.), but if he's just crying about wanting to sue you, then he's probably just an opportunistic idiot.

I would be cautious as well - but your best bet might be to try to record any interactions with him, and if necessary, get a restraining order against him.

that is a weapon under the law ... don't be pointing at anyone unless he is threatening your person with bodily harm

Being charged and being sued are two different things. He can try to sue you but doesn't have an actionable reason. Pointing a spear gun in someone's face could get you arrested for any number of reasons. Best not to do that.

If you pulled the trigger it would be in self defense.