Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 month ago

Why did they invent the HP Stream 14?

I bought the HP Stream 14 laptop and I seriously regret it. I was in a need for a laptop for school and rushed into buying a laptop. It is such a low storage space that I have accumulated files and it's only beena month since I bought it and it is really slow when I browse the web. Why did they invent this piece of junk?

The HP STREAM 14 is the cheapest laptop. We recommend to college students should you really be on a budget.

• Lv 7

it was marketed to students as a good tool for research, and it does this quite well.

but as a general computer, it fails in every other category.

let me ask you this: what was your reason for choosing THAT specific computer over a different one? i'll bet almost anything it was the "nice" pricetag. this is why i tell people: "you get what you pay for".

now, if you want to fix your space problems, you could simply swap the storahe drive for a decent Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, for about $60, and then reinstall Windows for free from an ISO you can burn to a USB flash drive (since the Stream has no DVD drive), and you'll be back in action for a while.

but that doesn't fix ANY of the other glaring problems a Stream has...

any laptop less than $450 isn't worth the money (if you're buying new). it is junk, and you can quote me on that.

• BigE

Sorry, I feel for you, it does have a specific purpose.  It is a very minimal laptop, especially for Win 10.

First, yes you can use Cloud storage for lots of things but it probably has a Flash card port that you can add enough disk space for documents.

Second, you might cut your loses and sell it used and get a proper laptop or chromebook (if that is what your school requires).  I run linux mint on mine and they work perfectly fine because it is linux mint is a small footprint, low cpu OS. I use mine as my throwaround laptops because they are small and rugged (no disk)

because they needed a low price laptop to compete with tablets.  you probably can add storage -- external hard drives are cheap and replacing the present HDD isn't expensive or difficult.

• keerok

Hahaha!

It's not an invention. It's a low-budget laptop model whose specs are well documented and advertised in and out of the internet for everyone to see and scrutinize. Didn't you know that with electronics, you get exactly what you pay for? You rushed into buying it. You said it yourself so then it's your fault.

Well, the concept is...everything is going to "the cloud".  Meaning, they THINK laptop buyers don't need storage space, because (obviously) you should be willing and happy to store all your files in "the cloud".  Even the name Stream points to the fact that it was designed to be a cloud interface only, as opposed to a stand-alone computer.

I'm sure there are a few people out there happy to own a Stream or similar computer.  But I think it should actually come with a warning.  "useless without a cloud account" for example...