If a car won't start because of electrical  problems why might it be time to send the car for scrap instead of fixing it? ?

My friend's car wouldn't start, it got fixed and a few days after that it wouldn't start again. So did he do the right thing that he sent it to the compactor instead of fixing it? It had electrical problems for years.

Favorite Answer

I just junked my car because of electrical problems. The motor would shut off at random while driving. It usually would restart. Last week it stalled on the expressway after I was at a bar having a few drinks. It wouldn't restart.  That was the last straw. I don't need a DUI because of a car that quits. 

No one here wants to hear a drunk's stories...

Get in  AA, Stop driving drunk,. Then yoiu won't Worry about "breakdowns".  DUIs endanger Everyone, not just your own sorry ***. I met a couple lifers who'd killed  a foamily while  DUI.

MORE DETAILS please! WHAT kind of CAR is this! SOUNDS like a CHRYSLER that has issues like tht! I got someone 45,000 BACK form CHRYSLER over a JEEP COMMANDER! IT would NOT start in parking logs! HE ALSO got an extension of FIVE YEARS ont he WARRANTY! >>>SO MANY cars out there are JUNK it is ABSURD! There are MILLIONS of BAD NEW BATTERIES OUT THERE! STICK with the FACTORY ONE or one like it from the JUNK YARD! >?>TODAYs cars have LOTS of COMPUTERS in them and a STABLE power supply is the FIRST thing to deal with! AUDI car will absolutely REJECT AUTO ZONE junk batteries! MOST ELECTIRCALISSUES are CAUSED by the use of BAD BATTERIES with NO SERVICE PORTS ( CAPS ) INTERSTATES have GREAT warranties and they WIL honor them! I Sued THEM and WON anyways! >>>Go to a DIY CAFR W#ASH with a can of GUNK ORANGE and clean the ENGIEN BAY< the ALTERNATOR and the STARTER off CLEAN! ENGInes that LEAK wil RUIN electrivals easily! CLEAN is the NAME of the GAME always! YOU SHOULD INCLUDE that MAKE the MODEL adn MORE with your question! NOT ALL CARS ae ALIKE and the ones with BOSCH or DENSO electricals are the NEST ONES! And AGAIN it all starts with a HEALTHY BATTERY that is NOT made of gthe CHEAPEST FLUIDS and SIDEWALLS that can FREEZE internally and go BAD quickly or crack the insualtion from ONE cell to ANOTHER cell! SORRY!

NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION. We cannot tell you. 

Perhaps not send it to the scrap yard but rather sell it and make it someone elses problem to fix.

Was this car a Volkswagen, or Porsche by any chance?  To answer the question, yeah years worth of electrical problems are worth scrapping the car.  Some cars are defective right from the factory and VW/Porsche are among them.  

After years of frustration, I can understand his frustration, but electrical problems really are fixable.  

• ?

Being an Auto Sparky I would have hoped he called the guy that fixed it and ask if he would warranty the repair. It depends a lot how many miles it had and what brand it was to figure if it's best to give up on it. Also you'd have to figure in what you paid and how many miles you got out of it. If you stay away from European cars and Chrysler/Jeep and Cadillac you'll have fewer problems. But knowing a mechanic that has ASE A6 certification or similar background is a plus. Knowing how to Troubleshoot Electrical/Electronic systems is a fairly rare skill. 

Year make and model.  Electrical problems for years?  Car could have been flooded.  One good reason to junk it.  There is a time to "throw in the towel".

it depends on whats wrong with the car