Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How is it that life evolved to effectively dissipate solar energy (into heat) if the first forms of life were chemosynthetic heterotrophs?

If you accept that life arose as chemosynthetic heterotrophs in hydrothermal vent systems then how can it be that life indeed evolved to be effective dissipaters of solar energy (second law thermodynamics) They would've been respiring sulfur and methane at this point. There would've been no relationship with the sun. It was only after these first chemotrophs evolved that the first aerobic organisms would develop a relationship with the sun and... appear. So basically I don't understand how both of these theories can true. They don't seem to jive.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Cowboy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

the origin of life had multiple locations - life is chimeric by nature.

• 1 month ago

I do not know where you studied by where I did we were NOT taught that the Second Law of Thermodynamics is about effective dissipaters of solar energy.

• 1 month ago

So what's the contradiction? I don't see it.  One thing evolves from another.  If one thing didn't evolve from another, we'd all still be chemosynthetic bacteria living in rocks.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.