Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do I need to switch my drivers license?

I am moving from New Hampshire to Arizona for school as a transfer, but I am moving down a few months early and getting my own apartment separate from school. Do I have to switch my registration/insurance and drivers license? I'm not 100% sure because I am going for school but I will not be living in a school provided residence.

2 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    No. If you are only living in AZ to attend school and plan to go elsewhere when you finish school then you do not have to change your driving license or registration. 

  • 1 month ago

    You need to look up the specific state law. Most states require you to have a state license within a month or two of moving there. It has nothing to do with living on campus or off. Here is the statement of the Arizona DMV. It looks like if you're going to be a full-time student, you don't need to get an Arizona license. It would have been much faster to google this information rather than asking on here. College students should know how to do research. 

    Resident Definition

    State law requires that you obtain an Arizona vehicle registration and driver license, immediately if any of the following apply:

    You work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work).

    You are registered to vote in Arizona.

    You place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident.

    You have a business with an office in Arizona that bases and operates vehicles in this state.

    You obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident.

    You have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona.

    You remain in Arizona for a total of seven months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence.

    Out-of-state students enrolled with seven or more semester hours, are not considered Arizona residents, regardless of employment.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.