Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Shady landlord.?

So I paid February’s rent on Feb 3rd like I always do since you get fined if you pay anytime after the 3rd. Water bill is included in the rent and fluctuates a few bucks. On February 5th, they apparently had a change in management and a new company took over but employees were still the same person.

I’m March, my rent was about $150 higher, I asked why and was told that the extra $120 was for February’s water bill because the prior management “forgot” to include it in my February’s rent. And the $30 was for a notice fee that was left at my door on or after February 5th telling me I have to pay water bill. 

1. No notice was left at my door.

2. I have never paid water bill separately ever since I moved in here 10 months ago, it was always included in the rent.

I was just told that I should’ve checked my online portal to see if I had any unpaid bill in February even though I have never had to, and also the online portal has been down for the past month ever since new management took over. I can’t log in anymore. This is totally wrong but their only answer is “talk to corporate”

I’m also in the milk, could the legal office on base help?

Typo: I’m also in the military, could the legal office on base help?

I ask that because they usually tell us to give let them know before signing contracts with landlords so they can let us know if they see anything unusual with the contract.

2nd update: I’ve thoroughly read the contract, it doesn’t say anything about notice fee of $35 or anything of that sort. It doesn’t say I have to regularly check the portal etc

The only fees for if I’m late on rent.

Favorite Answer

It is VERY unlikely that the legal office will get involved before you make the attempt to contact the corporate office.  You already signed a contract. Unless you are given a new contract to sign, there probably isn't anything they can do.

Read your contract.  Does it say to check the portal regularly?  Does it promise that things will never change?  If you don't understand your contract or feel the landlord is breaking that contract, take it to the legal office and ask them.  It doesn't mean they can help you beyond understanding your rights, but feel free.

I'm not sure anything is really dishonest here.  It may just be an unprofessional transition.

I bet rent is actually due on the 1st, but you are choosing to be an a$$ and wait until the very last day before the late fee.

do you know of any reason the water bill would be unusually high?

of course you should check with the base legal office.

That's kind of effed up, but no one here knows what your lease agreement says.   

Yes, if you have a resource on base that you can ask, that is probably a good place to start.

Thank you for your service.

Sounds more disorganized & stupid than shady.  How can they blame the mistake on prior management if its the same person??!! 

You can ask on base lawyer if they know landlord tenant law or not. NOT all lawyers do.