Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

My boyfriend and I just moved in to a new apartment and the landlord is already acting crazy?

My boyfriend's name is Abbie and my landlord did not meet him prior to signing the lease.  He met me several times before we signed the lease.  Now he is flipping out that I'm living with a man I'm not married to. He shouted at me that we had somehow committed fraud and he never would have rented to us if he knew Abbie was a man.  

Isn't that discrimination on the basis of sex?  He would refuse to let me have a roommate because of their sex.  

Can I sue for him harassing us about it?

Yes, you can sue any landlord at any time for anything that offends you in the slightest. You can sue his dog and his sister's hairdresser, while you're at it.

A plaintiff (you) has the burden of stating a claim for relief and providing evidence that shows it more likely than not that your claim is valid, in light of whatever defense the other party submits.

Yes, for starters, you can sue for a refund of all the rent you ever paid, and a restraining order, if the landlord has made your life a living hell from the first day, and you can prove that.

It depends on where you are located, but most places would consider it discriminatory to rent to unmarried tenants if both qualified for the lease--however, there's more to this story than you're telling. You didn't commit any fraud. He may have turned you down for some other reason, though. Discrimination based on sex is not what this is.

And no, you don't have any case for suing him for "harassment."  Shouting at you is not harassment--repeated aggressive behavior  might be. Like I said, there's more to this story, and that's about the only answer you can get based on the sketchy information here. 

Also state that you are also a LandLord

Get over it.  He allowed you both to sign the lease and move in, didn't he?  He has a right to his opinion and he stated it as such.  He did not discriminate and tell you that you couldn't rent the place.  So get over it, sue happy lunatic.  If you are worried about your relationship with the landlord, tell him that you have set a wedding date but because of covid, it won't be for a couple more years.

• ?

from nolo (US)

Marital status is not one of the protected categories under federal law. ... The majority of states don't have any legal provisions protecting people from discrimination based on marital status, meaning landlords may legally ask questions about your relationship and may refuse to rent to you if you are an unmarried couple.

but it doesn't make sense that the landlord didn't meet with both of you before signing the lease.

• ?

It's none of the landlord's business who you live with or what your marital status is, as long as that person is a legal tenant. 

His problem for not asking.  Ignore.

WHERE?  This is an International site, and your situation is NOT International law.  I would need to see the lease in order to know if this situation is or isn't discriminatory.  The lease is a CONTRACT.  The CONTRACT rules.  What does the CONTRACT say about the sex of a roommate?  If your bf is NOT on the lease it is possible that the landlord will consider him a subtenant and attempt to evict him or evict both of you.  AGAIN, no one can answer this without reading the lease.  Yes, if this is harassment you can sue for your monetary damages.  Do you have medical bills, have you lost employment, have you been forced to move?  If not, no, you have no monetary damages.