Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Are they the same thing?

So my brother says he wants to join the military because he is interested in the military and thinks it's cool.

Is having interest in the military and thinking they are cool the same thing as thinking combat is fun (like "Call of Duty")?

Joining the military because you like "Call of Duty" and think combat would be fun (like "Call of Duty") makes you sound stupid.  But is that the same thing as joining the military because you are interested in it and like it?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

There are aspects of the military that are cool, but military service is a 24-7-365 job and combat can be either an exhilarating experience or a nightmare one relives until death. Few really know what they're in for when they take the oath, until they've spent some time actually fulfilling it, but hopefully your brother is thinking it through.

• 1 month ago

No.  I had wanted to join the military by the time I was 4, which was in 1963, LONG before video games!  And, in 1977, I did join, and stayed in the Regular Force for 25 years, and I am still in as a Reservist, for 43 years service altogether.   And, I've still never played COD, and am not much interested in it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.