Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

if someone is sentenced to death, is justice served?

I’m reading the hanging of ephraim wheeler and my paper asks if justice is served or not whether he is guilty or not

• ?
    Favorite Answer

'Justice' refers to what is 'morally right and fair.'

So was it 'morally right and fair' to publicly hang a man for raping his thirteen year old daughter? 

"'Morality' is the differentiation of intentions, decisions and actions between those that are distinguished as proper and those that are improper."

So was it 'proper' to hang a man publicly for this act?

What would have made it 'improper?' 

Was it 'fair?' 

What would have made it 'unfair?'

These are some of the questions you must consider and answer. 

You also need to address how we determine 'intentions, decisions and actions.' 

Who determined this man's intentions, determined how he made his decisions or witnessed his actions? Does it matter what the people imprisoning him and then publicly hanging him intended to do, decided to do, or actually did?

Did they accomplish their goals? Were these intentions, decisions, and actions 'fair?'

How can we measure whether they were 'fair?' What impact did they have on society, in particular, on those witnessing the hanging and this man's 'peers,' (other men like himself). 

Were any alternative punishments potentially 'more fair?' Would the social impact of any of those been better, i.e.'more proper' or 'more fair?' 

Answer these and any other derivative questions and you will have plenty of material for a paper.

• ?

Over the years, I've given a lot of thought to this issue:  Is capital punishment justified?

I used to be hard against it, but gradually my opinion has shifted.  I now believe that capital punishment IS justified in cases where all three of these factors are present.

1.  There is NO doubt of the accused's guilt 

2.  The accused has been properly tried, convicted and the appeals process appropriately followed, according to the jurisdiction in which the crime occurred 

3.  The crime(s) are of a particularly heinous nature, for whatever reason 

The question above was general, not specific.  Besides, I never heard of Ephraim Wheeler before reading it, so I won't comment on that case.

It depends on your version of "justice."  I am confused.  "Your paper" asks if justice is served.  What is "your paper?"  You read the book/article.  "Your paper" makes me believe this is homework.  I did my homework. It's time for you to do  yours.  You have posted homework question after homework question.  If you are pre-law you are making a BIG mistake and wasting your tuition.

• Kathy

Yes if the person is actually guilty of the crime.