What’s the reason for this and is there anything I can do?

My girlfriend has a concealed license in the state of Oregon, I live in Washington and she wanted me to drive pick her up and take her to get a shotgun and the guy behind the counter said he would only sell the gun to me because I seemed more interested in the gun. How does that work and is this common? The name of the store is Big 5 sporting goods in Portland Oregon on stark rd.

The reason for this is to prevent straw purchases and what you could have done would have been to wait in the car while she went into the store alone.