Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Why does it take so long for banks to process certain transactions?

I bank with BBT. When I go to target or McDonalds. It shows up in my bank account in less than 10 minutes. However, when I pay my car bill or make an online order with Amazon, it doesn't post until 10 days later. And what I hate about it is, the money disappears before the transaction is posted. So what happens is, if my account says $5,000 and my car bill is $400, 2 weeks later, my account will reflect that I have 4,600 dollars now but it won't show that I paid Chrysler for $400 until another week later. There's no such thing as a pending. The money simply subtracts and then days later it says in red: -400.00.  Why is this? Is this just a BBT thing? 

It's frustrating, because I know this is my fault but I'll check my bank account after paying all my bills and it'll say I have 5,000 bucks and I'm like cool, and then I have a heart attack because 3 weeks later, I only have 4,000 and nothing to show for it and I'm like, what the hell happened? then I remember the thing I mentioned above happens and it's so annoying. 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

That is not the bank, it's the merchant.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Your experience is not my experience.  Amazon posts immediately.  As far as "what the H*ll happened" the bank/credit card company expect you to be able to do basic math.  Debits don't just "simply subtract" from the balance."

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Electronic transfers normally complete by the end of the next business day. You will have to ask your bank why it takes that long. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.