Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Why does it take so long for banks to process certain transactions?

I bank with BBT. When I go to target or McDonalds. It shows up in my bank account in less than 10 minutes. However, when I pay my car bill or make an online order with Amazon, it doesn't post until 10 days later. And what I hate about it is, the money disappears before the transaction is posted. So what happens is, if my account says $5,000 and my car bill is $400, 2 weeks later, my account will reflect that I have 4,600 dollars now but it won't show that I paid Chrysler for $400 until another week later. There's no such thing as a pending. The money simply subtracts and then days later it says in red: -400.00.  Why is this? Is this just a BBT thing? 

It's frustrating, because I know this is my fault but I'll check my bank account after paying all my bills and it'll say I have 5,000 bucks and I'm like cool, and then I have a heart attack because 3 weeks later, I only have 4,000 and nothing to show for it and I'm like, what the hell happened? then I remember the thing I mentioned above happens and it's so annoying. 

That is not the bank, it's the merchant.  

Your experience is not my experience.  Amazon posts immediately.  As far as "what the H*ll happened" the bank/credit card company expect you to be able to do basic math.  Debits don't just "simply subtract" from the balance."

• Bruce

Electronic transfers normally complete by the end of the next business day. You will have to ask your bank why it takes that long.