Friends Bragging!?

I have an issue where my friend likes to talk about her personal finances as well as her husband’s finances with me which makes me uncomfortable because she then wants me too share my personal finances with her. I feel as though I don’t have to share with her every part of my life especially my financial aspects of living, it just makes me feel really weird and awkward and I told her in the past that I don’t want to talk about finances but she continues to pressure me to talk about my finances with her and I don’t like that. She also likes to brag about how much money she makes and how much money the husband makes and how much money they’re going to be receiving each month and it just gets on my nerves because I don’t want to talk about that when ever I speak to her. I feel as though our friendship has run its course and I need to walk away from this friendship. I would also like to add that every time we do speak over the phone she prefers to have the phone on speaker and I notice that every time we speak on video she’s always looking over at her husband to get his reaction  whenever I say something questionable. I’d also like to say that her relationship with her husband is very weird because she’s gone through a lot of domestic violence issues with him in the past as well. I just feel like it’s time for me to walk away and never look back. 

Favorite Answer

"I just feel like it’s time for me to walk away and never look back."

I agree.  You've given more than enough reasons to bail on this, and the worst is you telling her you don't want to discuss your finances and her ignoring this.  If there's anything you can be criticized for (in terms of lessons learned) you let this go on too long.  I have 2-3 super close long terms friends, and I can't even picture them ignoring me like that! 

You didn't give your age, but if it helps, it's very common for friendships to run their course if they began in high school or college.  I had friends I thought I'd be close to my whole life.  But people do so much growing and changing from late teens to mid 20's that 2 people can grow into very different adults.  That might be part of this. 

• T J

Time to let that friendship die.

It IS OK to outgrow some friendships, and to move on without them in your life. It happens. People change and grow and others don't. When that gap gets too far, its OK to let the friendship go and find new friends who are on the same page as you. 

That doesn't mean that the friendship wasn't valid, or worthwhile, or appreciated. It just means it has run its course, and its time to move on.

• i + i

Yes, you DEFINITELY need to 

get away from that nonsense.