Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Can only highly intelligent people be successful in life? ?

Excluding those in sports like Muhammad Ali, etc

Has any less intelligent person be successful in a field other than sports? 

Can a hardworking person be engineer, doctor, businessman, CEO, scientists, etc even if he has low or average intelligence? 

Update:

Fields other than sports and entertainment 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

The question is why would you want to become something that requires insane work ethic and no balance in life. That'd be no life at all. What's the point of working I'm such a way? Everyone eventually dies and all that effort building a business etc. would be simply given to the next person. That's pointless, it's a chasing after the wind. Like trying to catch vapor or mist with your bare hands. 

That's why my philosophy is to love what I do, do good deeds on Earth and love God.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

It depends on your idea of success. Mother Theresa was never rich, no PhD, even the catholic church refused to help her in any manner, yet she became the most well known woman of God in the last 100 years ! with hundreds of thousands of lives changed by her Christ centered love for all.  She had no income except her daily needs, accepted only the most simple of lifestyle and yet she changed the world.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Average people who have a big drive to succeed go further than geniuses who lack the passion to do so.  

• 1 month ago

Of course but you need money.

Without it you may be stuck in a darn job.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It depends on what you mean by intelligent. There was a scientist who won the Nobel Prize, and his IQ was about average for a college student - not bad but not the sort of IQ you'd expect a genius to have. I'm inclined to think he worked harder than the other Nobel Prize winners. Another thing is that personality is very, very important. There was a very elaborate long-term study that found out what traits in children predict success. It studied children and followed them into their thirties. IQ is not the best. Emotional intelligence and the ability to stay focused on what you're doing despite distractions and emotional turmoil are more important. See Daniel Goleman on emotional and social intelligence. Other good authors are Emma Seppala and Dale Carnegie.

• 1 month ago

Success in sports requires intelligence, though not necessarily academic success.

Muhammad Ali was uneducated when he started boxing, but he was really smart nevertheless.  As time went on, he became self educated.  

But are you talking about success, or being the champion?  A lot of people are successful without being the best in the world, you know.  

Some fields do need high intelligence.  A top professor of dentistry told me that a student with average grades but excellent hand/eye coordination would be a better dentist than one with high grades and average coordination. I believe something like that could be true of a surgeon too.  Though it does take pretty high intelligence to get a doctoral level degree in any subject.  

But yes, there are even cases of people with very low intelligence doing well in business, if they can do their work well. Maybe they will hire somebody to keep the books for them.  Maybe they will even hire assistants for other aspects of the job.  Discipline and a work ethic can go a long way.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Yes.  Diligent, hardworking people are often more reliable BECAUSE they must work harder.  

Very intelligent people can skip steps, assume things that turn out wrong.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.