Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Am I right in thinking that 'spunk' and 'jerking off' mean something entirely different in U.S. English to what they mean in British English?

Here in the U.K., spunk's a vulgar word for 'semen' and 'jerking off' means 'masturbating' or 'having a ****', as we say over here in the U.K., but I've heard 'spunk' being used like this in movies: 'The kid's got some spunk!', and I've also heard 'jerking off' being used like this: 'Quit jerking off, guys. We ain't got time for this ****!' Both examples were used in American movies, and both examples suggest to me that they both mean something entirely different in America, compared to the U.K., but what do they mean over there? 

I don't think I've ever heard them being used in those particular contexts before. 

Favorite Answer

'The kid's got some spunk!

'The kid's got some energy!

never heard it used as semen in US

jerking off can mean a few things

'Quit jerking off, guys. We ain't got time for this ****!' 

'Quit wasting time, guys.

'Quit goof off, guys.

The original use of "spunk" was to mean energy, courage, confidence. It's possible that it's used in the locker room to mean semen, but not by anyone I know. "Jerking off" can mean both being lazy, not getting to work, and masturbating. But I suspect that what you heard in movies was "jerking around", which is more common for "not getting anything done."

The Urban Dictionary defines jerking off as meaning both masturbating and procrastinate.