Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 2 months ago

Is it possible to get tetanus from swallowing the bacteria that causes tetanus?

I haven't been vaccinated against tetanus since I was a baby.  I used a can opener that has a lot of rust on it, while I didn't cut myself on the can opener, I'm wondering if you can contract tetanus from swallowing the bacteria that causes it?...

If the rusty can opener is growing the bacteria that causes tetanus and some of that rust falls in my food, could I contract tetanus by ingesting it?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • kelvin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    no you can't and you and your body will be fine

  • 2 months ago

    You have tetanus bacteria in your gut as a symbiotic bacteria.  The vaccine is a lie like every other vaccine, too. Don't take vaccines - you don't need to poison your body. Every person who is not vaccinated is much more healthier.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    No, bcuz you can't get tetanus from RUST. It's only found in damp soil where there's fecal material ; like a sewer or barnyard.

  • 2 months ago

    First, you are not at risk from the can opener.  The tetanus bacteria are not found in the kitchen but in the soil.  Also the tetanus bacteria cannot live with oxygen, so your can opener is not going to have any.  

    Second, no, you don't get tetanus by swallowing bacteria.

    Actually tetanus is caused by the toxins produced by the bacteria.  Which pretty much means you won't get it if the wound doesn't get infected.  And usually not if the wound is shallow, because it will be exposed to air.  Or if it bleeds a lot, because the blood would wash them out and the oxygen in the blood would tend to kill them too.  

    When you need to worry really is if you get an infection that does not respond to home first aid treatment.  Then you should see a doctor.  If you don't let it go too long, there should be plenty of time to avoid tetanus.  But if a bad infection develops quickly, go to the doctor quickly. Tetanus isn't the only possibility here.

  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    No, it has to go direct into your bloodstream. Any in food would be destroyed by your stomach acid.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.