Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

If I were thinking about getting a roommate or roommates to save some money, how many is a good number?

(Not too many but not too little either?)

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

In what country?  In what city?  As college students?

A general expectation in the U.S. is that each person would have their own bedroom.  If you have a house with three bedrooms, you could have two roommates.  

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

One person per room.  

Unless you are living on campus, don’t share a bedroom. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

1 to 3 at most. That really depends on the residence, the house or apartment complex and the floor plans of the apartment or suites. Do you want to share a bathroom. How much are you and any roommates willing to pay for rent or a lease? How are  you going to pay the security and pet deposits if the landlord or management allows pets? What are you going to do if your roommate turns out to be a slob and hoarder  like I am when it comes to cleaning and washing dishes and toilets?  Is there a dishwasher, microwave,  washer and dryer? Would you mind living with a type 1 diabetic or epileptic, or would you accuse the type 1 diabetic of being a drug addict? My first roommate was another type 1 diabetic in an older dormitory built by the WPA in the 1930s. 

I've lived in a university town for the last 40 years. I've seen one pair of roommates turn into enemies when one roommate decided to  enlist at the end of the fall semester and then went into training to become a nurse 80 miles away . She did not have a vehicle and always paid her rent late so management threatened to evict both of them. The roommate was a full time student who worked 3 part time jobs, one of them in her hometown 40 miles away.  Later on the same apartment had 2 roommates but one roommate's boy friend moved in. That apartment did have 2 bathrooms. The single roommate graduated but continued working part time on campus, then worked retail and then real estate before she moved out. The couple eventually decided to move out ecause of the current management's attitude about any pets. The apartment complex was NOT student housing. 

• MS
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It depends on the size of your residence.  How many bedrooms do you have?  It's ideal for everyone to at least get their own room, and you won't get too many takers if you have to share rooms.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

That depends: How big is your residence, and how many bedrooms does it have over your own ?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.