Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Spelling name wrong.. could it be on purpose?

This lady used to spell my first name correctly all the time but now she spells it wrong (through email).  She is in her 20s.. so, I doubt it has to do with Alzheimer's.  It's a 3 letter name and the most common name in the world.  I don't know why, but I feel she is doing it on purpose.  She spelled it correctly about 5 other times.  This is the 2nd time she misspelled it.   

Let's same my name is Lee and she spells it Lei.  I can understand if it was like that from the start.. but all of a sudden?  I just wonder if she's being spiteful.  

Update:

To ?, the first time I let it go thinking it was a mistake... but I just got a message minutes ago with the same spelling.  

Update 2:

I also forgot to mention, my email has my name.  

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Yeah, it does sound like she is deliberately misspelling your name.

Send her a separate email stating "I noticed that you somehow have begun to misspell my name. my name is spelled Amy, not Ami. Thank You, Amy".

I am far from annoyed by people's antics but I do tend to return passive agressive behavior. If, after being corrected on howto spell my name, and if it happened again, I would bigin to misspell her name, just to make a point.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

One of my dear friends spells my name wrong all the time. He responds to texts where my name is right there. So what. I just have to laugh about it. 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

maybe you should ask her about it

• 1 month ago

Please don't be the kind of person who goes through life watching with beady eyes for insults and offence to come your way. At worst, she's had a slip of the memory, or possibly she's just recently met someone with a name very similar to yours but spelt slightly differently, "Lei" rather than "Lee" as it were.

Just correct her lightly in a PS in your next email to her, and let it go.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

She misspelled your name in her contact list, does it really matter?  I really doubt it's intentional.

• 1 month ago

Why haven't you corrected her?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.