Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Spelling name wrong.. could it be on purpose?

This lady used to spell my first name correctly all the time but now she spells it wrong (through email).  She is in her 20s.. so, I doubt it has to do with Alzheimer's.  It's a 3 letter name and the most common name in the world.  I don't know why, but I feel she is doing it on purpose.  She spelled it correctly about 5 other times.  This is the 2nd time she misspelled it.   

Let's same my name is Lee and she spells it Lei.  I can understand if it was like that from the start.. but all of a sudden?  I just wonder if she's being spiteful.  

To ?, the first time I let it go thinking it was a mistake... but I just got a message minutes ago with the same spelling.  

I also forgot to mention, my email has my name.  

Favorite Answer

Yeah, it does sound like she is deliberately misspelling your name.

Send her a separate email stating "I noticed that you somehow have begun to misspell my name. my name is spelled Amy, not Ami. Thank You, Amy".

I am far from annoyed by people's antics but I do tend to return passive agressive behavior. If, after being corrected on howto spell my name, and if it happened again, I would bigin to misspell her name, just to make a point.

One of my dear friends spells my name wrong all the time. He responds to texts where my name is right there. So what. I just have to laugh about it. 

maybe you should ask her about it

Please don't be the kind of person who goes through life watching with beady eyes for insults and offence to come your way. At worst, she's had a slip of the memory, or possibly she's just recently met someone with a name very similar to yours but spelt slightly differently, "Lei" rather than "Lee" as it were.

Just correct her lightly in a PS in your next email to her, and let it go.

She misspelled your name in her contact list, does it really matter?  I really doubt it's intentional.

Why haven't you corrected her?