digis asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

English speakers, could you help me?

Could anyone tell me if I wrote this paragraph correctly and does it sound natural to an English person? I myself am not a native speaker of English.

In short, the master craftsmen of the Butchers and Slaughterers Guild carried out all meat production work: buying-in of cattle, slaughtering them and selling meat and meat products.

The Butchers and Slaughterers Guild succeeded in maintaining a monopoly over fresh meat up until mid 18th century.

Favorite Answer

Yes I think it's nearly perfect, though I'd probably say "a monopoly over the sale/selling of fresh meat".  Also "buying-in" is correct if that's a term used in that industry.  Certain industries use vocabulary that's specific to that industry, which is perfectly acceptable. But "buying-in" isn't something we'd otherwise say.

There's no such word as "buying-in."  Use just buying or purchasing.