Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

digis asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

English speakers, could you help me?

Could anyone tell me if I wrote this paragraph correctly and does it sound natural to an English person? I myself am not a native speaker of English.

In short, the master craftsmen of the Butchers and Slaughterers Guild carried out all meat production work: buying-in of cattle, slaughtering them and selling meat and meat products.

The Butchers and Slaughterers Guild succeeded in maintaining a monopoly over fresh meat up until mid 18th century.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes I think it's nearly perfect, though I'd probably say "a monopoly over the sale/selling of fresh meat".  Also "buying-in" is correct if that's a term used in that industry.  Certain industries use vocabulary that's specific to that industry, which is perfectly acceptable. But "buying-in" isn't something we'd otherwise say.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There's no such word as "buying-in."  Use just buying or purchasing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.